Thread: From this...to that. From chainsaw to Bandsaw. To lathe.

From this...to that. From chainsaw to Bandsaw. To lathe.

I now feel like I was run over by a truck, but have a nice healthy supply of turning stock put up after a few hours...well, more than a few hours...of work.

It started out when I pulled down a tree with the tractor that had toppled during a winter storm and was leaning against some others. Once the chain saw was out and about, the pile of "prospective turning blanks" was calling me loudly, especially when I transported the remains of the fallen black birch to the same general area where I keep the good stuff. An hour and a half later I had what is shown in the first picture. Several hours after that, and a whole lot of time at the MM16 bandsaw making a real mess, I had what is shown in picture two.

That's a whole bunch of osage orange, cherry, ash, spalted Norway maple and...some really wonderful box elder that Tom Sweeny "donated to the cause". The color in that box elder is stunning and I can't wait to turn out some things from it. (Thanks Tom!!) The ash came from Fred Voorhees and should also be very nice to work with...some is wet and fresh; some if from a dead tree on his property and has a little staining and slight spalt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, that should keep you busy for a day or two! Man, there's some beautiful looking stuff in that thar pile! After seeing previous work off of your lathe, I have little doubt about all that wood living a second life in spectacular fashion. Nice score(s)! Can't wait to see the final results.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Get to work on that box elder, you've had that for awhile and soon you'll watch the red disappear before your eyes.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Well, that should keep you busy for a day or two! Man, there's some beautiful looking stuff in that thar pile! After seeing previous work off of your lathe, I have little doubt about all that wood living a second life in spectacular fashion. Nice score(s)! Can't wait to see the final results.
    Jim,
    I had to call 911 before I even finished looking at that BEAUTIFUL stock. What a TREASURE!! As usual, you will have to post some of your finished pictures so that we can keep "Spring" in the loop. (Though challenged in all respects, I didn't miss that crack from him about that "old guy up in Peshtigo" in another thread). Whatever, give us ALL a glimpse of your finished product. Thanks.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    (Though challenged in all respects, I didn't miss that crack from him about that "old guy up in Peshtigo" in another thread).
    I'd have been deeply disappointed if you HAD missed that post!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Only one word comes to mind, Jim:

WOW WOW

I wish that were my stash
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Nice looking stuff, people ask me how long it takes me to turn one of my bowls. They don't understand all the work that goes into getting the wood before you even make a bowl blank. I show them pictures of the process I go through to get the wood. You might want to save some of these pictures to show your customers. I even gave a customer a picture of the tree her bowl came from, and she loved it.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Busy Beaver. We flat landers thought you picked up a piece out of the wood pile and went to work. Thanks for the lesson.

I had to call 911 before I even finished looking at that BEAUTIFUL stock.

Dale, Did you call 911 before or after you priced turning stock.
    This leasure & relaxation is a lot of work.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-29-2004 at 6:33 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Questions, questions, questions

Man I have to find some of that box elder, looks just like tulipwood at a distance!

Now that you have cut these pieces into blanks, did you treat all or any of them? i.e. wax etc....

Did you by chance take any pictures of the process from say half a log to a rect blank? Just wondering how you decided to cut them the way you did.

Andy

Before or after?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Busy Beaver. We flat landers thought you picked up a piece out of the wood pile and went to work. Thanks for the lesson.

I had to call 911 before I even finished looking at that BEAUTIFUL stock.

Dale, Did you call 911 before or after you priced turning stock.
    This leasure & relaxation is a lot of work.

Tyler,
    Both!! I don't have time for leisure and relaxation. I'm too busy riding in ambulances.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!