Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: at what point can you stop calling it a "garage" and start calling it a "workshop"?

1. Shop / Studio

It's no longer a garage when the electrician comes out to drop in 220 plugs. I didn't think that pretentiousness had anything to do with naming it a studio. I thought it was when you got heat and air conditioning.

Who knew
    Mike

It's been a looong time since the cars have been inside of my "shop." I tend to almost always refer to it as the shop instead of the garage, but my brother who is lucky enough to have a stand-alone shop still likes to correct me every time I call it a shop.

But, then again, he has a three car garage in addition to his shop that's filled with a jeep he's been restoring for about 10 years now, his 4-wheeler, lawn equipment and so much junk, that all of his active vehicles still sit outside.

On the other hand, I've seen so many cars burning on the side of the road, that it's always seemed kinda weird parking a combustible engine and 20 or so gallons of highly volatile fuel in a garage that's attached to a home anyways!

Keith

Well for me is when I realized my "garage" is 1,200 sqft larger than the house we bought with it. I bought it for the shop, my wife said she liked the house. I did take a quick look in the house. Seems nice.

For me its half and half. One end of the building is the "shop" for woodworking. The other end is the "garage" 4 vehicles parked in there, and 7 rooms for storage". To complicate things a little. There is an 18' x 20' garage attached to the house. It is definately called the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck View Post
    On the other hand, I've seen so many cars burning on the side of the road, that it's always seemed kinda weird parking a combustible engine and 20 or so gallons of highly volatile fuel in a garage that's attached to a home anyways!

Keith
    Just where the heck to you live, Iraq?
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

Hmmm, never thought of putting a car in that room. It's called a garage, you say? Nope, never heard it called that.

Steve Kubien

Chris,
    The cold weather gives me an excuse for more shop time.
    David B

I started calling my garage "my woodshop" when my third girl was born; it was a defense mechanism.

My wife started calling it my woodshop when she decided she wanted a bigger house.

My studio . . . I guess I'll start calling it that when I get full HVAC installed and swear off 2x4's.

It was a garage when I was in the planning stages and still required my wifes signature on the excess amount on our mortgage.

It became a shop as soon as I broke ground and there was no turning back.

Mine was a garage till me moved the first tool into it. When we moved into the house portion a few months later the shop had been established and cars have never seen the inside of it. Now we are currently building another shop in the backyard that may end up being a Studio and the old shop will become the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Honeychurch View Post
    Just where the heck to you live, Iraq?
    Nope, Detroit, which is much worse! j/k

Actually, I live in VA Beach, but over my lifetime, I've probably seen at least half a dozen cars fully engulfed on the side of the road. That's more than enough to make me think twice about parking in a garage attached to my home.

Keith

11. As soon as its equipped with year-round heat, beer fridge, cigar humidor and good radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stoutenburgh View Post
    As soon as its equipped with year-round heat, beer fridge, cigar humidor and good radio.

Don't forget the tool girl calendar!

Smile When it takes longer . . . .

When it takes longer to move the tools to get the car/cars in then it takes to move the cars out to be able to start working . . . That would be pretty early on in the garage / workshop relationship . . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

This is a garage...

This is what became of it, now the workshop....LOL

I've got a two car garage and a four car garage. When my wife found the house, she said if I let her buy it, I could have he four car for a shop. It's never been called a garage. Like one friend said, six car garage and the Corvette sits outside. She has full ownership on the two car.