Thread: what to look for in a wooden plane?

what to look for in a wooden plane?

I'm still very new to the hand tool way, I have only a couple of stanleys & not many options when it comes to aquiring more. Maybe Katrina washed them all away I dont know - I don't see many old tools in antique shops or flea markets around here. I have been looking on ebay but am unsure of myself & can't afford ($$) to make too many mistakes. There are a number of old wooden planes on ebay now that I've thought I might try for but I'm not sure what makes a good user & when to pass. While I'm asking questions, how does one sharpen the different profiles on these planes? Thanks, as always.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Look for something that doesn't have large cracks or look too dried out (i.e. dry rotted). Wide mouths are not that big of a deal as long as they are not like the Grand Canyon. Light checking is also not that big of a deal as long as the cracks are not in vital areas, i.e. the wedge abutments. Look for pictures where the iron has been removed as well. You don't want to get it only to find the wedge has been driven so hard that it is near impossible to get it out. Better for it to be stored relatively loose. Also, look to be sure there isn't so much pitting that it cannot be lapped out of the iron. At worst, you can back bevel a bench plane iron to get past pitting but this shouldn't be done on a molding plane or joinery plane (dado, rabbet, etc.) Be picky and look for the best pictures from the most angles. You are looking for anything that looks like it does not belong. Also, don't expect a steal unless you only want to keep the iron. If the plane is worth buying, you likely will not be the only one bidding (only in very rare instances).

With that said, woodies are hard to buy on ebay as pictures often don't do them justice. I've bought ones that looked great in the pics but arrived in less than usable shape and then I've also bought ones that looked terrible (bought just for the iron) that were shockingly good when I got them. Plus, many times, the cracks are hard to spot. Cracks do not necessarily mean a bad plane. Many of mine have checks in the ends and still work fine. I would recommend you buy your woodies from a reputable dealer who know how to spot a good user from junk rather than ebay. At least until you know what to look for. In the end, it's like just about anything else...if the price looks too good to be true, it probably is. I've found that you don't really get too many bargains on woodies on ebay. People who know what to look for in woodies (as well as those looking for that nice country decor) typically bid them up higher than I'm willing to pay, especially for molding planes. I think most molders are way overpriced on ebay. I get mine from a good dealer and usually for less than what I would have to pay on ebay.

As for honing, some slip stones and a leather strop is all that is needed. I usually establish the primary bevel on concave irons with a chainsaw file as it's difficult to take too much material and ruin the profile with one of those. For convex irons, I use my regular grinder and bench stones.

With regards to buying on ebay, I would make sure that they have posted enough pictures that you can get a really good idea of what you're getting. Make sure that you can see a view from the end clearly enough to see the profile and whether or not the iron matches the profile. A good plane will also have the grain running parallel with the bottom as viewed from the end of the plane. Make sure that the wedge is shown inserted in the plane to ensure that it is the wedge that goes with the plane. Find out if the iron is pitted. If it is, I'd pass it up unless this is a plane I really wanted. Make sure that the body is not twisted or warped, or that there are any cracks. There may be a few but you don't want them in places that would indicate that the plane is falling apart or has been treated roughly. Look for hammer marks on the top and rear end. There will be marks there but if the marks appear to have been made with a steel hammer, then the plane has probably been abused.

As far sharpening the irons, there is no trick. It takes a lot of patience, small files, etc. There is no easy way to sharpen these.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stanford View Post
    There are a number of old wooden planes on ebay now that I've thought I might try for but I'm not sure what makes a good user & when to pass.
    I can't help you with Ebay, as I don't use it. A different online source you might be interested in is The Best Things they have a section devoted to molding planes and another section devoted to other types of wooden planes. The prices vary, but there always seems to be a good assortment of things going for less than $100. They also have a nice article on sharpening and using molding planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Faurot View Post
    I can't help you with Ebay, as I don't use it. A different online source you might be interested in is The Best Things they have a section devoted to molding planes and another section devoted to other types of wooden planes. The prices vary, but there always seems to be a good assortment of things going for less than $100. They also have a nice article on sharpening and using molding planes.
    Yeah, Lee is good, I've dealt with him several times before. Definately a reputable dealer who has a lot of knowledge about old tools.

Wow, thanks guys, great replys & a great site. I haven't bought a molding plane yet but there's a fore plane on it's way to me now.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden