Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite Burl NE HF

Mesquite Burl NE HF

Another one from the little mesquite burl I cut up. The shape of the form was pretty much dictated by blank and wanting to make a ne opening. I left the bottom wider to take advantage of the bit of heartwood burl figure on one side and I had to slope the shoulder/neck area to get below the bark. It reminds me of a sack just plopped on a table and it's kinda growing on me.
    It's 4 1/2 tall by 5 1/2" wide with a coat of danish oil. I'll add a few more coats of DO and let it build up a soft finish.
    PICT0056-5.JPGPICT0057-5.JPGPICT0055-5.JPGPICT0054-3.JPGPICT0058-4.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

2. Beautiful wood and nice shape Kathy! I haven't turned a burl yet but after looking at the pictures of the ones you've done (and others here at the Creek ) I gues I'm going to have to hunt some down and give it a try! Have a great St. Patty's day!

Kathy, this is actually one of my favorite forms - the "squat" pot, so to speak! I have one sketched that I want to do soon.

That mesquite burl really stands out well in this one, and the burly sapwood is a great contrast with the heartwood and the NE opening. The "lighter" side almost looks like an entirely different turning. Nice work on getting the bottom finished out, too. Not always an easy task with a NE piece.

Another winner!

Beautiful work with some great wood. I like your choice of finish for this mesquite.

Gorgeous wood and the form is great. I'm with John, I like the pot shape. The sapwood/heartwood combo is awesome.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Another beautiful piece, Kathy!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Kathy,

Nice piece! I like the form, and the mix of sap and heart wood. How did you attach this one to the lathe? Bubble gum? I assume you started with a tenon on the bottom, reversed it, held it in with a doughnut chuck, and turned the tenon off. However you did it, it's a great piece.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Love the form and wood.

Kathy,

I really like the form and think the mesquite really compliments form very well. You are a turning machine. Very well done.

Alan

Really do like this, great wood and work.
    C&C WELCOME

Kathy that is nice. I like that mesquite and the burly NE.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Now that is nice! Love the form and the wood is stunning! Always referred to this kind of form as a bag of sand... very organic and natural feel to it! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful piece Kathy. Love the form on an exceptional piece of wood. I feel another WOW cover with this one.

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Kathy,

Nice piece! I like the form, and the mix of sap and heart wood. How did you attach this one to the lathe? Bubble gum? I assume you started with a tenon on the bottom, reversed it, held it in with a doughnut chuck, and turned the tenon off. However you did it, it's a great piece.
    Thanks Brian, I started with a tenon and then used a jam chuck with some double sided tape to finish the bottom.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice work Kathy. The NE and all the sapwood give it a much different look than most mequite I have seen. Neat piece!