Thread: Recommended book gift for new turner?

Rodney Gitzel Guest

Recommended book gift for new turner?

Hopefully he's not reading this but my boss is about to retire, and we're looking to get him a nice gift we can all sign which will actually be USEFUL to him.

He's just taken up turning, so I thought if there's a particular turning book
    that is beautiful to look at AND a good source of info, then that would be perfect. Or even if it's just beautiful to look at, but can be an inspiration for all the free time he's about to have.

Thanks!

rodney

Rodney,

Most any of the books/video's by Richard Raffin would be excellent for him. There are many out there to choose from but Raffin came to mind pretty quickly.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Favorite Book

My favorite turning book is "A Foundation Course in Woodturning" by Keith Rowley. Very well done and comprehensive. Any of the Raffan or Darlow books as well. Very thoughtful gift.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

the one by raffin the one by tibbets the one by ray allen and one for doing the segmented with gaps if you get these 4 it will cover pretty much every thing but hollow form
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Rodney, my all time favorite is "Turned Bowl Design" by Richard Raffin. It's one that I refer back to time and again, a good reference for a beginner, as well as an excellent resource for experienced turners. Best to you, and how nice of you to think of him with a special gift in mind for his retirement! Jude

Another vote for Keith Rowley's book.

The Raffan books are great but the thing that helped me the most were DVD's by Bill Grumbine. They are an excellent IMO.

Jim

If he's just taken up turning, this is my recommendation.....

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning (Complete Illustrated Guide) (Hardcover) by Richard Raffan

I just got mine a bit ago from Amazon, and I sure wish I had it when I started turning. It covers numerous things and is well worth the money.

Blog Entries
    I must have been crazy, I started with Malcolm Tibbetts and Ray Allans books.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I'll also put a vote in for the Rowley one. That is a simply awsome book! All the Raffans are great, too.

It's just inspiration, but one of my favorites is "500 Wood Bowls". Nothing gets me wanting some shop time like browsing through that book.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

The 500 wooden bowls is great and Barnes and Nobles had them on clearance for 50% off too. For learning all the great ones have been mentioned and for more of a tutorial type "Woodturning, A fresh Approach" by Robert Chapman.

I got the Turning Guides collection by Raffan for Christmas. Full of great information. Now if I just had a bigger lathe!

Rodney Gitzel Guest

I know the "500 ..." series

I'm a potter (sometimes) so I know the series well, and that book would definitely cover the "inspiration" side of things. Cool, I didn't even know they made non-clay books.

rodney

Rodney Gitzel Guest

The book was a great success!

We went with "Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning," which is an impressive tome, with lots of inside cover space for inscriptions.

He was *quite* pleased. His first words were "cool! I just got one of his DVDs from the library!"

Thanks all!

rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gitzel View Post
    Hopefully he's not reading this but my boss is about to retire, and we're looking to get him a nice gift we can all sign which will actually be USEFUL to him.

He's just taken up turning, so I thought if there's a particular turning book
    that is beautiful to look at AND a good source of info, then that would be perfect. Or even if it's just beautiful to look at, but can be an inspiration for all the free time he's about to have.

Thanks!

rodney