Thread: What Lathe OTHER THAN 3520

What Lathe OTHER THAN 3520

I Know u all favor the PM 3520... So do i (i think) but im looking in to alternatives to the 3520. So if you could choose a lathe closest to above or below the 3520 witch one would you choose?? Im asking so that i can compare features and find witch to try before i buy :-)

I have a handbuild danish alternative that im looking into... he would be able to build me one very close to the 3520...
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

Rasmus....I'd look at one of the Novas.....or Oneways......or Robust......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

stay away from Laguanas customer service is a nightmare if there is a problem

There is a lot of praise for the Jet 2HP variable speed model. Amazon has it priced at $1,899 with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Keep in mind that I have zero turning experience but like you I am researching which lathe to buy. Leaning towards the 3520B at the moment.

Rasmus How about a vicmarc, I see they are availible in Denmark. From what I here they are great machines.

Bob

Vicmark, Poolwood, Oneway

I think i need to add some info... Im not looking for just brand names, but specifics, model number and why you would choose that one over the 3520... so i know excactly what to look for... im looking for opinions..
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

See http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/ and go to "Reviews" page. Just about every lathe out their has been discussed with respect to he PM3520. Not sure about Robust and Stubby, costly but superb lathes.
    Jerry Hall

Blog Entries
    JET 1642 ( I'd say the 3520B baby brother.)

Stubby (any model)

Robust (Made in the U.S.ofA.) "The American Beauty" 25"(Sliding Headstock) or the "Sweet 16"(Fixed Headstock)< Gotta love the Names of their lathes Totally Americana.

Oneway

Nova ( IF you can get the CAST IRON Legs) I just do NOT like those light weight legs they provide. And I believe they have a Propriatary motor style, What IF they stop making it down the road?

I thought hard about a Stubby S750, but even used and across the Country was at $4,800.00.( I would have had to drive to go get it.)

I like The Robust , The American Beauty, Made in the U.S. Stainless Steel Ways, Sliding Headstock, Tilt Away Tailstock Attachment, ect.

But , I also looked into the Nicholson Lathes and found out they went Out of Business, so investing in a new manufacturer even though U.S. made , I didn't want to gamble theyd still be around in 5 or 10 years to get parts from.
    If their still around and IF I feel the need to upgrade the 3520B in the Future I'll look very hard at them or the Stubby next time around.

I did choose the 3520B for it's Value and Features.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Closest "below" is probably the Jet 1642-EVS2, 2 hp. Decent product, heavy, used to be moderately priced. Can't quite visualize wanting to turn bigger than, say, 15-3/4" dia., but could always turn outboard the tailstock end if necessary. Good value for the money. The 3520 might also be best value for the money in that size.
    Richard in Wimberley

Oneway 1640 2HP with bed extension mounted outboard of headstock. Turns 24" outboard, 16" inboard. More Expensive, but is an awesome lathe. I chose it for the ability to turn 24" bowls outboard, and still have a tailstock to use if I wanted to, for roughing. Also handles the Kel/McNaughton Coring system easily. {if I only knew how to set it up right the first time, in the first place }
    It paid for itself rather quickly... that's how I justified the extra cost.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Next step down...Jet 1642 2hp, Delta equivalent, NOVA DVR with some form of quality base, Vega 2hp "bowl" machine. Next steps up...OneWay 1640, Vicmarc VL300 short bed. Next tier above that would be Stubby 750 (what I use), OneWay 24xx, Robust, etc. The upper tiers (above the PM3520) are all machines that are not mass produced as the 3520 and those below are. The PM 3520 is the "top of the class" when it comes to the mass market products and is excellent quality...and well liked in the turning community.

There are other machines on the market from folks like General, but I'm not very familiar with current offerings.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-16-2008 at 9:18 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't know why everyone hates the Nova legs. I've turned 15" logs on mine with the spindly legs. Sure it rock and rolls but once its roughed out it's just smooth as can be.

Burt