Thread: Need Help, Leigh Super24 Offset DT's

Question Need Help, Leigh Super24 Offset DT's

So I got a leigh super24 and am amazed with it. I have been pounding out DT's like crazy. So easy and so nice. I love it and would highly recommend one to anyone. So here is my question:
    I'm working on a desk for a customer. He is very picky and knows the exact look he is after. My problem has been mating a 22" Deep top to a 21.5" deep base with half blinds so that the DT spacing mirrors each side and the extra 1/2" of the top is at the front for both left and right case side. More explanation I think is needed. I have a left and right side that will serve as my tail boards. These will be verticle in placement. I am using variably spaced halfblinds. My tail boards are 13/16" thick Ash. My top is 1" thick Ash. The top needs to have a 1/2" overhang on the front. So I think that I need to be using a 1/2" spacer in my process somewhere to mimic the overhang. Just where? Or am I way off base here? This may not even be possible for all I know. It just seems that there aren't all that many limitations to this jig and that this would be an easy task. I am a few attempts into this and can't keep burning up wood through the trial and error that I'm curently depending on to get it done. Help?
    Last edited by Travis Gauger; 04-16-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Travis,

I may not understand your question correctly, but I will try to give you an answer. I believe what you are after is creating asymmetric dovetails - is this correct? It this is correct, please read on. I did not use variable spacing, but did create asymmetric dovetails in several drawers.

For the desk, you just turn the drawers 90°, upright. In other words, the drawer fronts in the drawer I show below would become the top in your case.

I wanted to create asymmetric dovetails on some drawers, to replicate some drawers in old cabinets we purchased at auction. I use the Leigh D4 dovetail jig, for which the procedure calls to create the dovetails on the left-hand side of the jig for the left-side, and on the right side of the jig for the right side of the jig, replicating the dovetail layout on the jig's right side. Rather than doing this, I created a spacer for the left-hand side, and developed the look I was after.

You may want to read the Leigh procedure for asymmetric dovetails, using the D4 and found on their Support Page. I believe most of this procedure will apply to your specific jig.

You can read the entire procedure on my blog. This is the look I needed, and the results I got:

The original drawer:

What my procedure does:

Last edited by Al Navas; 04-20-2008 at 7:14 AM.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

That's Perfect. That is exactly what I am trying to do. I owe you, again. Thanks Al, It really looks like you have done it all with these jigs. I'll check out your Blog on this, I'm sure you have it covered. Thanks again.

GREAT! Please let us know if you need anything else, Travis. Glad to help.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking