Thread: Intro and request for help with plane ID.

Intro and request for help with plane ID.

Gday Folks

Please forgive my starting off with a request for your services.. I joined a little while ago but with 2 very young kids I rarely find myself capable of making a full sentence.. much less holding a conversation with a bunch of tool gurus. I have however enjoyed reading through some of the great threads here in my stolen moments.

I have a very modest bunch of planes in my shop.. a good selection of bench planes, a few blocks, a small assortment of plows, a 45.. etc.
    It's all just old Stanley stuff.. I try to make a rule that I will not buy a plane (or any tool for that matter) that I will not find use for, you know.. trying my best to stay off the slope

Anyhoo.. I took a punt on the US-bay a few weeks ago and had a bid on what I thought was a Vaughan and Bushnell #4 with a replacement lever cap.
    I can't afford the bedrocks and I have a V&B 904 1/2 that treats me very well.. so I figured for less than $50au I'd grab myself a smoother to replace my Stanley.

Only she came in the mail today.. and I'm not convinced it a V&B.. I made my original assumption based on the fact it had "drop forged" in front of the knob. Now I have it in my hands I don't think the bed and frog are right but I have no experience with anything other than Stanleys, Sargents and my one V&B that has a frog almost identical to a friends 604 1/2.

I have taken photo's of what I hope are the important bits for ID. It is fitted with a Sargent blade and no markings on the breaker.
    Lever cap has the numbers 3416 on its underside
    The Frog is marked 76 on its underside

Does anyone recognize her?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.8 KB, 55 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (93.7 KB, 52 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (106.4 KB, 35 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.2 KB, 38 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (88.5 KB, 37 views)

last 2 pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (97.0 KB, 33 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (83.6 KB, 12 views)

Luban, welcome to the Creek. I am sorry but I can't identify your plane. In fact when someone mentions "bedrock" I think of getting the hammer out for the backhoe Any way, there are many people here that can steer you in the right direction with your identification issues.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Hey, thanks for the welcome Jim

Its a Vaughn & Bushnell plane. Someone has replaced the lever cap, knob, and possibly the blade and breaker if it doesnt have some sort of markings like 904, 704, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    Its a Vaughn & Bushnell plane. Someone has replaced the lever cap, knob, and possibly the blade and breaker if it doesnt have some sort of markings like 904, 704, etc.
    Thanks for the input Clint. Would you mind elaborating on what makes you certain its a V&B.. I thought the frog and bed of the V&B's were exactly like the early bedrocks, where as this frog seems only to meet at the sides and front with a raised section of the casting to take the frog adjustment screw (missing)
    Don't get me wrong.. a V&B is what I was after and it looks like it will be a fine user once cleaned up and tuned.

is it just the "drop forged" that gives it away or are there other tell tale signs.

Cheers.. Luban

Yep, it's a V&B. The lever cap and cutting iron are most definately replacements, as well as the front knob.

That frog and bed are characteristic of the flat sided V&B planes.

Lynn

I agree with the others. Looks like a V&B to me, also. The front knob does not look original. The V&B knobs and totes I have are all of some wood other than rosewood and are stained to look dark. They're also tall - at least as tall as the later Stanley knobs - and shaped a bid different than yours.

The V&B's are good planes but that one looks like it needs some TLC. Shame you don't have the original lever cap.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks guys.. I'm convinced
    Thankfully it was just filthy.. I didn't need to put in in the electrolysis bath. small amount of pitting on one cheek but 90% of its japan is there.
    Shame they are such an uncommon plane over here, I'd rank them above the garden variety stanleys.

I know the knob shape you are talking about Mike.. my 904 1/2 still sports one, its an odd looking thing I reckon

Thanks for the replys Folks