Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Is It About Turning?

For what seems on the surface to be such a limited and specialized form of woodwooking, turning never ceases to amaze me in the art and craft revealed in each piece I turn or see. I particularly enjoy segmented making segmented pieces because the design is also created, whereas I find within the solid pieces I turn a new beauty revealed within each new attempt. Bowls draw people to them and almost ask to be caressed. After a relaxing day making a mess and forgetting about time as others have mentioned, I frequently sit back and wonder how I did it myself.

Y'all produce some amazing pieces!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    I quite disagree, Mike.

One of my greatest joys (after making the aforementioned mess, of course) is to look the recipient of one of my bowls right in the eye as he/she handles it for the first time. The resultant emotion is priceless - for both of us.

In those eyes I see the wonder and awe of "how'd he do that?" combined with genuine thanks for now possessing something that's been hand made by me just for him. It says of me - I spent numerous hours crafting this from a lump of wood. Those hours were spent in quiet contemplation of you and our relationship, one that I value. This bowl is a manifestation of that relationship.

I could have googled bowl and chosen one of the 87,456 that were made by someone else and all I did was click, spend, and arrange direct shipping. What does that says about how I feel about my recipient?

Andy, you would have enjoyed my reaction when I opened the package that came from you of the piece you placed in the auction (aside from laughing about the Moxie!!). When I opened that box and took out that little vaaase, I was speechless for a couple of minutes (not a regular occurrence, I can assure you)--and I think that's the kind of reaction you like to see when you present one of those pieces--that's the kind of reaction I'd like to see one of these days.

You couldn't have said it any better----good show!!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php