Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Boots for the Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Hatchett View Post
    I don't mean to change the subject, but I've been wearing good quality comfort shoes for years trying to ease the stress on my knees. Those long hours of late night work seem to stress the lower body before my mind is ready to call it a night.

Last year I purchased some of the Soft Surface inter-locking rubber mats from peach tree woodworking and they eliminated my need to be picky about shoes. They make life so much more pleasant after long sessions at the bench or tablesaw. (I'm not connected to Peachtree in any way.)

http://www.ptreeusa.com/shop_accessories.htm#1202
    This is an excellent solution for concrete floors. Sears sells a simillar product for about $20 per 40sf or thereabouts.

concrete floors = aching ankles, knees and back. For me it's definately thick, soft soled light weight shoes (lots of choices) and rubber mats at work stations.

I like my Redwings for working in the shop when I need steeltoe boots (surface planing, jointing, working with full sheets of mdf, etc) but for everyday use I like Crocs - very, very comfortable on concrete.

I say almost anything soft soled. I like boots for the ankle support. I've gone through about three pairs of Doc Marten's. The last pair lasted about a year and I stopped buying them. I've had a pair of Ariat's the last year and really like them. I don't personally know of anyone who has had a bad experience with Red Wing's either.

Let me throw another vote in for Crocs. I have two pair in bright red, one with the holes and one without. Bought the pair without holes so I dont get so much sawdust on my socks (grin) and yes, I know the heel is exposed, but for some reason the sawdust doesnt seem to collect there.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Lots of folks are wearing sneakers. Some wear boots.

But none of them give proper foot support like Dansko Professional clogs. They are the only shoes certified by the American Podiatric Association.

It isn't about cushion, (Danskos have none) it is about proper support.

I have worked in the shop for 12 hours at a time on my concrete floor with these and my feet feel as good as new.

My wife (a doctor) turned me onto these, as they are extremely popular with healthcare workers who are on their feet 16 hours at a time.

They're not as good for walking long distances as walking shoes, but when you're mostly standing, they beat walking/running shoes hands down.

When I was on my feet all day professionally, I had Red Wing boots, and they are not in the same league as Dansko.

They cost about $120. I bought mine from zappos.com, who have return shipping included. Lots of folks buy about 4 sizes at a time, then return the ones that don't fit.

Hi Jeremy,

Is your clogs sole rubber or wood with a sole ? I'm asking since I'm used to the real clogs that is a wood sole and then rubber for traction. I just can't find them in the US. If you have the wood ones then they are great when working in the yard. Digging holes etc.

Michael

That was a pretty convincing endorsement Jeremy. It's too bad they don't sell them in different widths. I don't get all these companies that assume our feet are all the exact same proportions as they scale up or down. How wide are the normal ones - sometimes I will buy shoes 1/2 size larger and the width will fit me?

Hi Peter,

NY Times had a related article a while back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/fashion/15CLOGS.html

Doesn't talk about the width. I'd write or call Dansko and ask specifically.

http://www.dansko.com/flash.aspx There is a 'Contact us' in the upper right corner.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wildt View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

Is your clogs sole rubber or wood with a sole ? I'm asking since I'm used to the real clogs that is a wood sole and then rubber for traction.
    The sole is hard rubber. No real cushion. (which is why they're not good for high speed walking) Formed leather on top of that (with vent holes) and a different type of slip resistant rubber glued to the bottom. The sole is completely rigid; they don't bend when you walk; just like the wooden ones you're talking about.

The back part is just for decoration, so they are considered closed shoes in professional environments. Inside the back is a straight, hard plastic that just barely rubs your heel. Not the kind of rubbing that causes blisters. More like oil rubbing on Teflon, if you get my drift. The heel of the shoes goes up and down with each step, just like the traditional clogs.

These are not traditional shoes. They're not like anything most men are used to. They take about a week to get used to, as you walk differently. It is hard to explain, but it works. One analogy is a traditional circular saw vs. a Festool circular saw. They both work, but one is a very different basic design.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    That was a pretty convincing endorsement Jeremy. It's too bad they don't sell them in different widths. I don't get all these companies that assume our feet are all the exact same proportions as they scale up or down. How wide are the normal ones - sometimes I will buy shoes 1/2 size larger and the width will fit me?
    Peter, they do make different widths. I noticed regular and narrow. I have had the same issues in the past as you have; having to buy longer shoes than I need just to get slightly more width. I didn't have that problem with these. With these, the fit in every area is critical. I recommend trying them on in person (remembering that the heel is supposed to slip) and make sure they fit everywhere else. The part that goes across the top of the foot must fit snugly. Not a lot of shoe retailers carry Danskos. Only specialized walking shoe stores or uniform stores.

Lots of folks here won't have that type of store locally, which is why I recommended Zappos.com. Order a few pair and painlessly return the ones that aren't right. Returning them is absolutely painless, as they provide the return shipping label with the carton. All one has to do is put them back in the box, re-tape it, and send it back. By the time you get your credit card statement, it will end up as if you only bought one pair.

I have the box leather version, which is the most durable. All one needs to do to make them look very sharp is wipe with a wet rag to remove dirt. If you want them to be nice & glossy, beeswax applied with a paper towel and a hair dryer is quick & easy.

These shoes are just amazing with regards to how long they allow one to stand without pain or prickling in the feet. If you have knee or hip problems that are complicated by not having well-cushioned shoes, you may want to avoid them, but otherwise, they are brilliant.