Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power feeders and Table saw

While this is an old thread and topic, figured I add to it (together) with a photo.

First, I love stock feeders. I think they're a "must have" in a shop if you own a shaper.

Have 4 Maggi Steff 1-HP, 3-PH, feeders in the shop now; (3) 3 wheel paired with 3 different shapers and (1) 4 wheel on one of two the table saws. We did try "sharing" a feeder with a shaper and a table saw. Made a mobile base for it to roll up to and secure to Shaper or TS. While it worked, it was a PITA and ended up buying another feeder.

So wanted the capability of pulling through full 3/4" Ply or MDF sheets to Rip, but with the stock feeder arm only measuring about 28" total, there's not enough to make it possible. Then do they offer a 1000mm overall replacement support arm, but that still wouldn't be ideal ... especially given the cost.

So came up with a Plan "B". Let's add 24" TO the stock 28" arm and push the support base out as far as possible. Wa-La... it works.

Made up a somewhat hefty base to anchor the feeder base to. It's made from 6" tubular steel with a 1/4" steel base plate anchored to the concrete floor. There's also a diagonal arm and mounting plate to help with the cantilevered weight. The factory feeder base is securely bolted into a threaded steel top plate. The factory support arm received a 24" extension by turning a solid steel slug for the interior of both original and added tube, then plug welded, then perimeter welded and ground down. The I.D.'s of the two materials were not the same. What we added way more precise and true than the factory support arm. The end result ... it works well. The new (about 52" OAL arm) allows for over 36" of cutting right of the saw blade. The experiment/task has been a huge help. One PS if wondered/asked. Opted not to make a mount from the ceiling down given the ceilings are over 14-foot high. Wasn't practical, nor desired.CYMERA_20171031_091558.jpg
    Last edited by Jerry Hankins; 10-31-2017 at 1:10 PM. Reason: add detail, clean up for easier read.

mine was on the ceiling as well, worked well, I had it on a track I didnt have to adjust it and turn the handle to move it side to side just slide it on the track then clamp it there. Thought about the roll around thing also mentioned here and placing machines 90 to each other so one feeder swivelled to other machines.

Here's a shot of my wife Diann rebating French Cleats for her garden shed, on the saw.

The feeder does a great job, perfect results with no tooling marks because the speed is constant as is the downward pressure and pressure against the fence.

In addition it keeps your fingers safe.

I also use the feeder on the shaper and jointer................Regards, Rod.

Rebating cleats.jpg

I suppose you could use the pipe mounted feeder as a dust collection run.
    Bill

I have a 1 HP Delta feeder I share between the table saw and shaper. I first had it on the table saw (before I owned the 3 HP shaper stout enough to support it). I don't rip my ply on the TS preferring to use a version of track saw for that (I find it less stressful and more accurate). For face frames and rails and styles it's the bomb for sure. absolutely the most accurate and safest way to cut a bunch of 2, 2.5, and 1.5 rips of solid wood I've ever worked with. I just determine how much of each width for the whole job - cut it all at once and then move it back to the shaper. I have two mounts as well and pretty much leave the mount on the TS all the time to speed up the transfer. I just get my son to help me move it because it is heavy (>100 lbs) but it takes every bit of 2 minutes to move this way. I very rarely need to rip anything wider than 19 inches - which is the limit when the mount is in place - so it works for me great. Not all that happy with the stock wheels on the Delta but they do make replacements - just haven't done it yet. You do need a very stout fence when doing this so it doesn't flex under the stress of the feeder but a clamp or two on the fence to make sure the back end stays put is good insurance.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 11-01-2017 at 1:17 PM.

Just for grins, here's some shots of an old time feeder made specifically for the table saw fence. It can be mounted on the shaper, but its somewhat awkward and requires a special fence. Stock thickness is obviously limited. The one pictured is my second one that I made from a broken one. This King E-Z Safety Feed has served me well over the years. It was offered in either a two roller or four roller version.

King E-Z Safety Feed - 1.jpg

King E-Z Safety Feed - 2.jpg

Guard removed so the inner workings are exposed.

King E-Z Safety Feed - 3.jpg

Table mount. It will go out to about 20" from the fence.

King E-Z Safety Feed - 4.jpg