Thread: Finishing a cutting board?

Question Finishing a cutting board?

I just made my first end-grain cutting board from leftover walnut strips. I did some searches and saw that most people recommend mineral oil. So I went over to Ralphs and got some mineral oil from the "lubricant laxitive" aisle. The directions tell me how to use it as a laxitive, but I need help with working it in to the cutting board.

I soaked in the first coat. Do I keep going immediately or let it cure for hours or days?

It was really an interesting discussion with the teenage clerk who wanted to know why you can use the same oil for facial care, woodworking, and lubricant laxitives!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Useful stuff!

Mineral oil is one of a number of inexpensive byproducts that are made from petroleum. Sometimes referred to as paraffin oil or Nujol, white mineral oil is composed of a blend of hydrocarbons that is not unlike that of petroleum jelly. The difference is that mineral oil is a liquid petrolatum, making it an ideal choice for a number of applications. Here are some of the more common uses for mineral oil around the home.
    Perhaps the single most common use for white mineral oil is to remove makeup at the end of the day. Mineral oil has the ability to cut through the minute amounts of grease and dirt that tend to cling to makeup over the course of the day, making it possible to strip off the layer of makeup easy and prepare the face for cleansing. Along with removing makeup from the face, mineral oil is often used as a beauty treatment, as it is an excellent amplifier that helps the body to absorb ultraviolet rays without drying out the skin. While not everyone is aware, baby oil is simply mineral oil that has been enhanced with a small amount of fragrance.
    Mineral oil is also good for use in the kitchen as well. Butcher-block surfaces can be conditioned with the substance from time to time. Treatments of mineral oil help the wood to stay supple, and also help to soften the appearance of nicks and cuts that are made during regular use of the block. Soapstone countertops can also benefit from an application of mineral oil from time to time. The properties of the oil help to keep the surface looking new, even if the countertop has been in place for ten years or more.
    Clay is another medium that can benefit from the application of mineral oil from time to time. For example, treating new clay pots with mineral oil will help to age the look of the pot. This is often desirable with decorating schemes that tend toward old country or shabby chic motifs. Clay poker chips can also be aged with the application of a little mineral oil, helping them to look well loved and used.
    Mineral oil is a very inexpensive item to keep around the house. With so many different types of uses, having a bottle of mineral oil in the cupboard is an excellent idea. Whether for personal hygiene or maintaining the look and condition of selected items around the home, mineral oil is a great option.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mineral-oil.htm

And, now that you have had an education in the many uses of mineral oil, to answer your question... you're done! Just wipe the board to remove any excess oil and break out the knives.
    David DeCristoforo

Woo Hoo! Thanks.

Great looking cutting board!

Since seeing the Woodwhisper's episode below. I've switched to wiping varnish.
    It's about halfway through the video.
    http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-...-above-part-2/

Gorgeous board! Is that board completely made of walnut or are there some other woods involved?

Pour some on, spread it around, let is soak in for awhile, wipe the excess off, repeat. When done, rub it out until dry.

I prefer melting 10% parafin into mineral oil and then apply.

Here's something that might help:

An excellent treatment for cutting boards and butcher blocks is a mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax. This is what is used on many commercial wood surfaces. It will last longer and be more protective than just mineral oil. Mineral oil can be found in most supermarkets in the pharmacy section or in a true pharmacy. Paraffin is found in the canning section of the store or in a hardware store.

Heat the oil in a double boiler and shave in some wax. The exact proportions are not critical--a 5-6 parts of oil to one part of wax will work fine. Stir the mixture until all the wax is liquified. Apply the mixture heavily and let it set 10-12 hours or overnight. Next day do it again and continue until the wood will no long absorb the finish. Let it set for 10-12 hours and then lightly scrape off any excess. Then buff it with a rag.

Reapply whenever the wood begins to look dry.

Never put a wood board in the dishwasher and don't soak it in dishwater for long periods.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Cowardin View Post
    Gorgeous board! Is that board completely made of walnut or are there some other woods involved?
    Thank you Grady. It is all walnut. It is my first try so I just started by gluing my leftover pieces together, cut off 1-3/4" slices and then started playing with the order until it looked pretty good.

I try to coat them a couple times a day for a the first day or so. Then every so often until it really doesn't soak in anymore. It is however, ready to go after a good coat.

Someone once told me "once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month forever". I sub once a month for whenever I think of it.

Endgrain boards will soak up a boat load of oil.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Mineral oil is the absolute shizz for cutting boards~!!!

I prefer a long slow soak.
    The stuff does not cure. It's is non-toxic and not volitile at atmospheric pressure so there is no evaporation.
    Instead it soaks in and in and in and in and in. It can also be washed off the surface.

If you can:
    1.) Put the cutting board in a poly bag
    2.) add a jar or two of mineral oil
    3.) get the air out
    4.) close it up
    5.) set it aside for a week or three.
    - - - Longer is better - - - -

Otherwise just keep applying it to the surfaces.