Thread: SCMI SI12 Dado capability?

SCMI SI12 Dado capability?

Hello Everyone--

I'm new to Sawmill Creek and am looking forward to communiques on all subjects of woodworking.

I have a question that has been plagueing me since I got my used SI12: can it take a dado set? The throat plate looks as if it was designed to allow a dado set to be used but I cannot see how it is possible given the blade stabilizer that is keyed onto the arbor, the key itself and the lack of any spacers or bushings that would be required to tighten the blades and chippers over the unthreaded portion of the arbor.

Can anyone help?

Tim

My reading on the Euro machines says it's less than likely that a SCMI will have dado capacity. That model was made in 1990's If I recall correctly. I almost can't bring myself to imagine that the European makers would have been accommodating USA buyers much at all then as it regards the dado.

I ordered my slider with a dado arbor. Had I not done so it'd have come European standard which is "no dado's allowed."

That said: SCMI may have a replacement arbor that'll take a dado.

While there are some models of Euro saws imported to north America today that can take a standard, adapted or specifically designed dado set, that capablity typically is not native to the machines as Cliff points out. I'm doubtful that the SCMI machine will have that ablity. My Minimax S315WS, like Cliff's Felder, does have dado capablity, but I haven't really used it outside of the two outer blades for a 1/4" cut. I'd have to make up a new table insert for wider and that's not a simple thing on my machine like it is on an American design cabinet saw. I'm using a router for this kind of work most of the time now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

SCMI SI12 blade stabilizer

Cliff and Jim, you are both correct: the SI12 is not dado compatible. I spoke with one of their technicians today. But I did figure out a way to make it work. I just need to find another blade stabilizer for a 22mm arbor. Getting one from SCMI would cost me over $50 so if anyone out there knows of another make of saw that has a 22mm arbor with readily available parts please let me know.

Tim

Tim,

I hate to disagree with your technician, but my SI12 (1988) does indeed have dado capability, although I have never used it. A separate flange came with the saw that slides on the arbor in place of the standard blade-holding flange, and it will accommodate a 1" bore dado head 3/4" thick, utilizing bushings in place of blades if you wish a cut thinner than 3/4". The literature refers to the part as a "dado blade flange". It is possible that my model was altered for the US market because the manuals are written in English and Italian. A qualified SCMI dealer should be able to supply this part for you.