Thread: outdoor rocking chairs

outdoor rocking chairs

i have a couple rockers that have been outdoors for a while...oak. i want to clean them up and put a finish on them for protection. it seems that someone told me several years ago when i was working on a boat that linseed oil was perfect for water protection. looking for ideas to clean up and finish these chairs. thanks.

john

Linseed oil is just about the worst thing you can use on outdoor furniture. It has no resistance to water or water vapor, it offers not protection from abrasion and mold and mildew think it's a candy.

No finish at all is a viable option if the chairs or white oak. Just clean them up by scrubbing with an oxalic acid or a "teak cleaner" you can get at a marine store.

No finish you apply will last more than a year or two when exposed to the outdoor elements. Some will use a "teak oil" which will need to be re-coated every couple of months.

Real marine exterior clear finishes can be used. But, don't get your product at a big box. Big box brands will not last at all. Go to a marine supply store and look for brands like Pettit, Wolsey or, best of all, Epifanes. They are not cheap but they last the longest. Even so, you will need to sand about every year when the finish begins to look cloudy and apply a new couple of coats.
    Howie.........

A two component Catalyzing urethane. It'll sink way far in and the second coat is applied before the first fully polymerizes to get a better bond.

Coat all surfaces and the chairs won't ever rot.

I've become a big fan of Australian Timber Oil made by Cabot.
    Been applied to this white oak rocker and 2 years later it still looks good.
    http://www.cabotstain.com/products/p...ent%20Coatings