Thread: Brushing on lacquer

Brushing on lacquer

Hello,
    I started experimenting with sealer and lacquer this past weekend. I haven't used anything but stain before (I've only been woodworking for a couple months) Are there any special techniques to apply the lacquer more evenly and keep it from running down the sides of whatever I'm finishing? I am using DEFT sanding seal coat, and DEFT clear wood finish semi gloss.

Blog Entries
    I've used Deft for many years. What I try to do, even though it takes longer, is to put finish only on horizontal surfaces. Let that surface dry and then rotate the project to get the next surface up. Be careful at the edges not to leave enough material so it runs. If you do get a run, you can scrape it off with a sharp chisel and let it dry before sanding out the run. If you put a heavy coating on flat surfaces you will get a leveling effect. Even so, sand after the first coat and sand in between each follow up coat. Wipe down or vacuum the sanded surfaces to get rid of the dust. The dust will feel waxy.

Rub down the final coat with #0000 steel wool and Johnson Paste Wax. Between coats you can suspend the brush in lacquer thinner so it is ready to go for the next coat. Each new coat softens the previous coat so get the follow up coats on with as little brushing as possible. If you brush too much you will see drag marks in the finish. Applying Deft over some stains will lift the stain if you brush too much so let the stain dry at least a full 24 hours before trying to apply the first coat of finish.

Lacquer fumes are dangerous so use it in a well ventilated area. I do my finishing outside in a garage with the big door open. You can apply the finish in cold temperatures, it just takes longer to dry. I've applied this finish at 25-30 degrees with no problems. Years ago I checked with Deft on this and they agreed.

If the finish on your project gets scratched even years later you can apply more Deft, even to a small area, rub it out with teh steel wool and wax and it will bond to the existing finish and be invisible.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Smile

Thanks for the helpful advice!

I thought the can states you don't have to sand in between coats?
    Just reapply in 2 hours.

With evaporative finishes such as lacquer you don't need to sand between coats for adhesion--each coat melts into the lower ones, becoming one coat in the end. However, a little leveling of defects between coats helps improve the final results and makes rubbing out the end product easier.

You did mention using Deft sanding sealer and lacquer. Deft sells sanding sealer so you will buy two quarts of product, when for many product only one quart is needed. There is almost no benefit to the user in applying a sanding sealer. It does sand a bit easier, which is a consideration in factory production situations, but it does so at the cost of creating a less durable finish. It does not seal any better than the lacquer itself, nor does it increase the adhesion of the finish to the wood. Basically it's a waste of money to use sanding sealer under nitrocellulose lacquer, such as Deft.

There are some catalyzed finishes that call for specialized sanding sealers to increase water resistance and adhesion, but this is quite a bit different than the basic sanding sealer sold for use under lacquer.