Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Layout Advice

Shop Layout Advice

Hello,
    I have been trying to rack my brain all weekend trying to re-arrange my garage workshop so that i can make the best use of my small area. i found the grizzley site and used their workshop tool to create my shop. all my tools are on movable bases so i can shift them around if needed but i would like to make them somewhat stationary if i can. i am having trouble finding where to place the jointer, belt/disk sander, drum sander, miter saw, bandsaw and planer.

at this time i can not move the work tables, bicycle storage and cabinets so wall space is limited. also currently when not in the shop working my wife and kids walk through the front of the garage through the double doors into the backyard quite frequently so i have to maintain a path to some degree.

I used to have the tablesaw/router and assy table going north/south but i found myself turning the saw to what it is like currently in the attached pic to rip long stock.

what are the normal safe clearances around the different machines?

can you recommend any other layouts?

Thanks
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first thought is "how many tables do you really need?".

Secondly, I would suggest putting the miter saw on or next to to work table on the wall and build a fence down the table with stops. Mount it above the level of the table and only make the fence and extension table about 6" wide. This way you keep the use of the table for cutoffs and tools.

Third, I have had good luck putting the outfeed of the TS facing the garage door. Keep the TS 4' or so back. You can use it this way for most of your cutting. When cutting long stock, open the garage door...you are in SoCal.

Fourth, you can put the sander or another tool at the behind the saw, a foot or so to the right of the blade. Again, most of your sawing will not need this area, move it when you need to.

Rick Potter

Rick's question is a good one...too often we all forget that open space is a valid design element in a workshop. An assembly table doesn't need to be a stationary thing at a fixed height, either. In fact, it's better when it's a flat surface that you can have a multiple heights to suite particular projects or...stored away for something tall that is best served by living on a dolly for final work.

Consider moving that jointer to the end of the right-hand extension table of the table saw, too. It can share the dust collection drop and power taps with the saw and the tools are complimentary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

James, you just have too many tools. I'll be happy to take some of the "extras."

Seriously, You bring up a great question of "normal safe clearances around the different machines." I don't think that there is an answer to that, but you need to make sure that there is nothing that you can trip over while you're operating one.

From your diagram it looks like you have set up what some call a "tool corral" for some of your machines. Several are "parked" in a close proximity to one another and can then be moved temporarily out on a more open area when being used. I have to do that in my present situation. While not the most advantageous arrangement it can work. The biggest downside is hooking up a DC system for the tools.

I would also question the number and size of your tables. They are taking up a lot of space and "dictating" your arrangement of space. If you need to keep them find a way for them to also hold some of your machines, especially the miter saw, to allow more floor space for those tools that must take up floor space.

If there is space on your lot for the storage of items, such as bicycles, I would suggest that you either purchase or build a shed. In my present garage/shop I have far too much "stuff" that has nothing to do with my shop and it constantly encroaches into my "workspace." In my new home we're placing sheds and bins in strategic locations on the property to address the need for storage. Storage for bicycles doesn't even have to be a large shed. They can be stored on one of those small outdoor storage sheds made by companies such as Rubbermade or Suncast (see picture below).

044365010311md.jpg

I fully agree with Jim's view on having a table with a top that can be up and down as necessary for different needs in the shop. I believe he has one to the Noden Adjuts-A-Bench models -- http://www.adjustabench.com/ that I plan to get as soon as I can have the cash available for one.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 12-15-2008 at 11:10 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

thanks everyone for your comments, they really got me thinking about removing the tables or reusing them for tools like the miter saw..

currently the workstation tables in the corner are used for storage below them and portable machinery on top like a spindle sander, battery chargers, computer repair workstation and i guess a flat spot to catch all the odd stuff... I think I kind of got acustomed to them being there and really did not think much about moving them. I will rework the plans to see if I can make better use of the space.

well I looked over the tables and this new layout is what i came up with and still keep the main table.

i also took the advice and moved the miter saw over to the other side of the garage and will build it on the drawer chest so that the miter table is the same height as the work table. i guess one cool thing is that the craftsman tool chest i have against the same wall works out almost perfect if i pull out a drawer and it will support the opposite side of the board assuming i am cutting a 10 footer in half.

the jointer i felt that if i angle it a little i can get a 6-8 footer with no problems by opening the back garage door so that should give me plenty of working space left for the drum sander and planer.

i will probably make the outfeed table mobile as well to give me more options.

i wish i can move the bicycles out but i have no room as the wife took all the storage shed when i took over the garage and being that they are worth too much money i don't want to leave them outside..

thanks
    James

Was going to make suggestion about location of planner and jointer but seen your other post and you have moved the jointer and planner where I think they should be.....Great minds think alike. LOL

It looks a lot better. Now comes the real test, moving everything around to see if in "real life" the plan makes sense.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Where is your wood storage? The wall behind the bicycle storage could work.

I will make all the changes starting next monday to see how it all works out. hopefully it will be fine .

attached is a pic of my current wood storage, it currently holds around 150-200bdft of wood but i also plan to put a vertical swing out storage area behind the bikes for sheet goods.

thanks
    james

"computer repair workstation and i guess a flat spot to catch all the odd stuff."
    Sorry, but that's what the table saw is really for.

James, A few more photos from different angles might help. We need to see table heights and spaces below.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

James,

Your second setup looks pretty good but as Jim said, you may find that by moving your table saw a little to the left and placing your jointer off the right side of the table saw may give you a little better work flow and save a little more space. It sure works for me.

DSCN4430.jpg

I have a similar layout in a much bigger space. I would attach the outfeed table to the saw and use it for assembly. You should have a real bench as well. The jointer would run better in the other direction.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I recently made a couple changes. I found that I was moving from the miter, to the jointer to the planer then the table saw. So I made some changes to allow that flow to work better. I too have alot of table space, my saw out feed table is 4x8 and rarely need that except for ripping sheet goods, so I found myself walking around it alot, and using it for table. I also have a 5'x8' that I use for assymbly so I have seperated my tools from the cutting side of the shop to the sanding and assymble side.