Thread: Router horsepower vs bit sizes

Router horsepower vs bit sizes

After installing a maple extension on my pm66 I'm finding it to be a fuzz high relative to the TS surface. My solution is to install a router jig for flattening the top so that I can use this as a FLAT fabricating surface. Everything that I've read talks about using big bits to speed up the work. It occurred to me that at some point a 1 3/4 hp router may have difficulty swinging a 1 3/4 inch bit. Is there any literature out there or is it all seat of the pants?

In my view, it is largely SOP.
    Shallow depths of cut with the smaller routers will compensate for HP.
    But material, sharpness, feed rates etc, render the point moot from time to time.
    To be sure, big fat routers like the PC 7539, Bosch 1619 or the DW 625, are the upper limits of kitchen routers (3HP). And they behave about the same with big cutters.
    Let a bite of 3/8 square be about your max take/pass no matter what your power at hand.
    Literature? Out there? Libraries full.

I made a router sled that rides the rails of my TS. I use a 1" dado bit with a 1 1/2 hp router.
    Used it to flatten a Redwood slab for a table I'm making. The lines you see sanded right out.

0905031456.jpg 0905031424.jpg 0905031457.jpg
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 11-22-2013 at 4:16 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks for the quick response Gents!
    Pat, That's what I wanted to hear.
    Myk, I've got a PC691 and several dado bits that are not new, but fairly sharp. I just knew the bigger bit would be faster if it didn't bog the router down.