Thread: Hawaii information available

Hawaii information available

After reading another thread by someone who had visited Kona Hawaii and picked up some Koa it dawned on me that if any of you wood turners happen to visit I would be more than glad to supply information on local wood turners you might want to visit and if our club is having a meeting at the time visitors are welcome.

There are also some local wood shops and a sawmill where inexpensive cutoffs of Koa are avaliable.

Just drop me a line and I would be more than glad to supply information.

Aloha, Pete

Pete you don't happen to have a spare bedroom? Haven't been to Kona in 30 years, has to be my favorite place in the world. I was amazed that the weather was so dry on the ocean. Reminded me of Arizona. I just bought Koa wood right here in Tucson last week from a guy. Thanks for the invite, wish I was there.

Peter you might be able to set up a little side business selling blanks to us turners
    Bob

Are there any sources of Koa turning blocks on Maui? I'm headed there next month and would love to bring back that sort of souvenir to make a special bowl or vase. The first time I went to Maui (about 15 years ago) I spent an entire day of my vacation attempting to find a WW shop that carried Koa. I finally found a cabinetshop near the airport that happened to have some Koa left over from a project they completed, but all he would sell me was larger boards which I couldn't carry on the plane with me.
    Remember, in the next world you're on your own!

HA! I actually have a brand new one just done but you will have to use the new bathroom right next to it

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pennell View Post
    Pete you don't happen to have a spare bedroom? Haven't been to Kona in 30 years, has to be my favorite place in the world. I was amazed that the weather was so dry on the ocean. Reminded me of Arizona. I just bought Koa wood right here in Tucson last week from a guy. Thanks for the invite, wish I was there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob,

If enough people want blanks I have no problem doing so, blanks for pens are easy to send through the mail.

Aloha, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    Peter you might be able to set up a little side business selling blanks to us turners
    Bob

Mark,

Not really sure about Maui. Our island has the most forrest as we are bigger in land mass than all the other islands together.
    Quite a few sawmill operations on this island.

One sawmill on the other side has many cast offs for turning that are rather cheap but the problem is an individuals "taste".
    Hard to sometimes pick something for someone else.

Aloha, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ebert View Post
    Are there any sources of Koa turning blocks on Maui? I'm headed there next month and would love to bring back that sort of souvenir to make a special bowl or vase. The first time I went to Maui (about 15 years ago) I spent an entire day of my vacation attempting to find a WW shop that carried Koa. I finally found a cabinetshop near the airport that happened to have some Koa left over from a project they completed, but all he would sell me was larger boards which I couldn't carry on the plane with me.

Just beautiful Pete you are a lucky dog. Love the pic's of the house. Thanks for sharing. Still wish I was there....Bruce

I've never been anywhere that I've seen more beautiful woodworking than on the Big Island of Hawaii. For those that might be interested there's a wood store near the Kona airport called Aloha Woods. I stopped in there a while back while on vacation and they had Flatrate boxes of Koa and Mango cutoffs that you could buy and they mailed them to you for 25 bucks. When I got home and opened it up it was all pretty good wood and I've used it for all sorts of projects. I just looked up their website http://www.alohawoods.com/ and the boxes are still available under "specials".