Thread: Ryobi 18 Volt Lawn Trimmer

Ryobi 18 Volt Lawn Trimmer

Well... its a power tool, and maybe this should be posted in Off Topic, but here goes. Does anyone have experience with this lawn trimmer? Does it have enough power to do the job easily? I have the new Li-ion batteries for it, so it should run long enough. I dont have a huge yard, but it probably takes 15-20 minutes to trim it. I need a new trimmer and dont want to buy another gas one. Anyone?
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Well... its a power tool, and maybe this should be posted in Off Topic, but here goes. Does anyone have experience with this lawn trimmer? Does it have enough power to do the job easily? I have the new Li-ion batteries for it, so it should run long enough. I dont have a huge yard, but it probably takes 15-20 minutes to trim it. I need a new trimmer and dont want to buy another gas one. Anyone?
    7 or 8 years ago I had a Ryobi rechargeable weed trimmer. It worked very well. I thought it was one of my better buys. It Could trim a fence about 3 or 400 feet I guess. Not sure how it would compare to the new units but would think it would only be better. It had a built in battery pack and I tossed it when it quit working.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-26-2008 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Add info

Just bought the Worx unit. Batteries are NiCad. Used it twice. Did the job on a medium sized lawn (700 sf.) with no recharge. So far so good. Wife likes it! Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

After I asked about this trimmer, I found the Ryobi forum, at Ryobis' websight. The trimmer got good comments so I went last night and bought one. Today, I trimmed my yard with it, and I am impressed. It trimmed the whole yard and still showed good charge on the battery. It has a number of nice features as well as a low price. It has a telescopic pole with about 8" of adjustment. It also is an edger, with the twist of the handle. It self feeds line, no more bumping, and of course, the best part is its electric(18 volt one+ system). No more mixing gas and oil, no more greenhouse gasses and no more gasoline. It always starts and its quiet. So, I would recommend it to anyone who asks. Now I wish Ryobi would make an 18 volt pickup truck . Ryobi... are you listening?

After I asked about this trimmer, I found the Ryobi forum, at Ryobis' websight. The trimmer got good comments so I went last night and bought one. Today, I trimmed my yard with it, and I am impressed. It trimmed the whole yard and still showed good charge on the battery. It has a number of nice features as well as a low price. It has a telescopic pole with about 8" of adjustment. It also is an edger, with the twist of the handle. It self feeds line, no more bumping, and of course, the best part is its electric(18 volt one+ system). No more mixing gas and oil, no more greenhouse gasses and no more gasoline. It always starts and its quiet. So, I would recommend it to anyone who asks. Now I wish Ryobi would make an 18 volt pickup truck . Ryobi... are you listening?
    Thanks for the review. My brother received the drill kit for Christmas so I am on the look out for other tools to get him on Birthdays etc..
    As far as the truck goes, I would hold out for the 24 volt model. LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thanks for the review. My brother received the drill kit for Christmas so I am on the look out for other tools to get him on Birthdays etc..
    As far as the truck goes, I would hold out for the 24 volt model. LOL!!!!
    Dave... I would recommend the circular saw, reciprocating saw, the right angle drill and the large shop vac. The chain saw is good, but small, it does a good job for light duty. I have all 5 and am happy with them.

I also have the Hedge trimmer, with the Homelight name on it, it came with the Weed eater. I run out of power way before it does.

The trim router is pretty handy too!

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Doles View Post
    The trim router is pretty handy too!
    I wondered about that. The only tool Im not happy with is the little dustbuster.

I wondered about that. The only tool Im not happy with is the little dustbuster.
    I thought that the "Tuff Sucker" was so useless that I returned it under the 30 day satisfaction thing 2 days after I bought it. I have the P206 drill, right angle drill, spiral saw (rotozip clone), and flashlight. I'm happy with all of them.

If they have a lithium sale around christmas time I plan to pick up the kit to get the circular saw, reciprocating saw, an extra drill, and the lithium batteries.

I would really like if they had the regular P206 drill not in a kit with a flashlight. I got a kit last year with a battery, charger, and P206 for $40. I would pay that much just to get an extra drill, but the cheapest one plus drill they have is a hammer drill for $70. I'm not interested in a hammer drill, I just want a simple drill to avoid changing my bit out for a screw driver, for a countersink. I've thought about their $30 7V drill, but would rather have something that uses the same battery platform.

Since Lance has had his question answered, maybe it is OK to do a bit of hijacking?

Regarding the trim router, does it have enough power to do typical edge profiling on hardwood? How about routing dados and such? I'm thinking of buying one, but I don't want to get it just as a laminate trimmer.

I'm thinking of the jigsaw, which is kind of underpowered compared to a proper AC-powered one.

One of the best things about Ryobi's One+ system is the "non-contractor" tools that are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles P. Wright View Post

I would really like if they had the regular P206 drill not in a kit with a flashlight. I got a kit last year with a battery, charger, and P206 for $40. I would pay that much just to get an extra drill, but the cheapest one plus drill they have is a hammer drill for $70. I'm not interested in a hammer drill, I just want a simple drill to avoid changing my bit out for a screw driver, for a countersink. I've thought about their $30 7V drill, but would rather have something that uses the same battery platform.
    Charles... watch Ebay for any one+ tools that you want to buy singularly. I just got a like new P220(discontinued heavy duty hammer drill) for $72. I also bought a second green drill soon after I bought my lithium kit. I think I paid around $25 for it.