Thread: What is torx size for screws on enclosed trailer?

What is torx size for screws on enclosed trailer?

Does anybody have any idea what size torx screws are used on a typical enclosed trailer to hold the skin on? This is a US Cargo brand trailer.

I have a T15 and a T20 bit, but the T15 is too small and the T20 is a hair too big. Is there another size in between or a metric size? (Really doubtful on the metric thing.)

I would ask the dealer, but they are closed until Monday and I really wanted to get this taken apart before then.

Brian, I went out and checked my Torx drivers. There is nothing between a T15 and T20. And you are right, they don't come in metric.

A T15 is 0.128" or 3.27 mm, A T20 is 0.151" or 3.86 mm

I can think of three answers:

(1) Proprietary sized fastener - only the manufacturer can repair.
    (2) A stripped out T15.
    (3) An undersized T20.

EDIT: It could also be your set of Torx drivers - they could be mis-sized.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 04-26-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added info

Brian,

I have no idea if this will work. I checked on the Haulmark trailer site for their fasteners, which have heads that look like a torx head. They are selling a #2 square driver on the same page, the only driver pictured/sold. Maybe.......

Jim

Some fasteners have a phillips-square drive combination that looks similar to a torx.

Brian,

Typically, a #2 square drive will work on these screws.

Brian,
    All of the screws which I have seen used for trialer manufacturing are custom torz head screws. I also own a enclosed trailer and found a few had to be tightened after a few thousand miles later. I ended up using a pair of needle nose pliers and some LockTite.
    I you do by any chance find out where those bits can be bought or ordered, Please let Me and the rest of the world know.

I figured it out last night and forgot to come back to post. The screws have eight points instead of the six points for Torx. The screws come out with a #2 square drive bit.

I found this information on a web page about Torx bit sizes when I was trying to figure out if there is a Torx size between T15 and T20.

No idea why they use these eight point fasteners unless assembly is faster due to not having to align the square drive bit exactly. I need to go back to the trailer dealer to buy some of these screws as several of them have broken over the years and the heads were just sitting in the holes.

Any ideas how to remove broken screw shanks from a metal frame? I can't exactly drill them out and they aren't big enough for an ez out.