Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is torx size for screws on enclosed trailer?

What is torx size for screws on enclosed trailer?

Does anybody have any idea what size torx screws are used on a typical enclosed trailer to hold the skin on? This is a US Cargo brand trailer.

I have a T15 and a T20 bit, but the T15 is too small and the T20 is a hair too big. Is there another size in between or a metric size? (Really doubtful on the metric thing.)

I would ask the dealer, but they are closed until Monday and I really wanted to get this taken apart before then.

Brian, I went out and checked my Torx drivers. There is nothing between a T15 and T20. And you are right, they don't come in metric.

A T15 is 0.128" or 3.27 mm, A T20 is 0.151" or 3.86 mm

I can think of three answers:

(1) Proprietary sized fastener - only the manufacturer can repair.
    (2) A stripped out T15.
    (3) An undersized T20.

EDIT: It could also be your set of Torx drivers - they could be mis-sized.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 04-26-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added info

Brian,

I have no idea if this will work. I checked on the Haulmark trailer site for their fasteners, which have heads that look like a torx head. They are selling a #2 square driver on the same page, the only driver pictured/sold. Maybe.......

Jim

Some fasteners have a phillips-square drive combination that looks similar to a torx.

Brian,

Typically, a #2 square drive will work on these screws.

Brian,
    All of the screws which I have seen used for trialer manufacturing are custom torz head screws. I also own a enclosed trailer and found a few had to be tightened after a few thousand miles later. I ended up using a pair of needle nose pliers and some LockTite.
    I you do by any chance find out where those bits can be bought or ordered, Please let Me and the rest of the world know.

I figured it out last night and forgot to come back to post. The screws have eight points instead of the six points for Torx. The screws come out with a #2 square drive bit.

I found this information on a web page about Torx bit sizes when I was trying to figure out if there is a Torx size between T15 and T20.

No idea why they use these eight point fasteners unless assembly is faster due to not having to align the square drive bit exactly. I need to go back to the trailer dealer to buy some of these screws as several of them have broken over the years and the heads were just sitting in the holes.

Any ideas how to remove broken screw shanks from a metal frame? I can't exactly drill them out and they aren't big enough for an ez out.

Torx #17 bit

Hi - I see these message are a few years old. I am in Canada and recently tried to tighten some wobbly chair legs that happened to have Torx screws in them. The #15 Torx bit was too small and the #20 bit was too big. I was told I needed a #17 bit which seemed to be rare as seen by other comments. I eventually found a #17 bit on google but did not order it as I also saw another note from a reader who said to use a Robertson #2 bit on the Torx so I did and it worked. I then replaced the Torx with new Robertsons. Too late for you but maybe help others. Cheers ick
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Brian, I went out and checked my Torx drivers. There is nothing between a T15 and T20. And you are right, they don't come in metric.

A T15 is 0.128" or 3.27 mm, A T20 is 0.151" or 3.86 mm

I can think of three answers:

(1) Proprietary sized fastener - only the manufacturer can repair.
    (2) A stripped out T15.
    (3) An undersized T20.

EDIT: It could also be your set of Torx drivers - they could be mis-sized.

Be well,

Doc

Blog Entries
    Yep. I have had to use a T17 before.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Does anybody have any idea what size torx screws are used on a typical enclosed trailer to hold the skin on? This is a US Cargo brand trailer.

I have a T15 and a T20 bit, but the T15 is too small and the T20 is a hair too big. Is there another size in between or a metric size? (Really doubtful on the metric thing.)

I would ask the dealer, but they are closed until Monday and I really wanted to get this taken apart before then.
    As some have noted or implied, there's no official Torx size between T15 and T20. However, note two things: if it is really a hexalobe screw (star) then a no. 2 robertson may just fit with some hammering, and likely you'll ruin some bits taking out these screws. On the other hand, (I had this problem) a closer look may show that it's an 8-pointed star, which is intended to take a no. 2 robertson normally (or again at 45 degrees from that position): but be sure the robertson is not worn. Only a good, square robertson will do this. Finally, if it really is a 'T17' size, Jaguar makes a special tool with that dimension to fasten the mass air sensor. Try getting a response from a Jaguar dealer, for a 'tool' ! Best to show up and bother a mechanic. Above all, don't sweat it.

Try an allen key, I have used one of those to remove a Torx fastener.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Just an FYI: This is a 9 year old thread. Hopefully Brian fixed his trailer long ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Just an FYI: This is a 9 year old thread. Hopefully Brian fixed his trailer long ago.
    Yes, I fixed the trailer long ago. I even rebuilt a second enclosed trailer since then.

Blog Entries
    Dang it guys. You just had to make me go look. I was sure I had a T17 bit in my toolbox. Nope, it was a T27...
    NOW you tell me...

loose T15 solution

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Dang it guys. You just had to make me go look. I was sure I had a T17 bit in my toolbox. Nope, it was a T27...
    hi all.
    am ted from the netherlands,and a newby here,so hi to all crafters.
    i know what the problem is with the loose torx T15.
    the screw needs a T15plus or T15IP bit.this is a slightly differt pattern and can transmit more torque.
    it is readily available,you might have to ask the sales rep.
    we use em on highly torqed bolts in tight spaces where innerhex and regular torx won't hack it.
    hope to help out so you won't ruin the bolts and have to drill em out.
    regards,ted.