Thread: Challenging piece of work !

Challenging piece of work !

I saw this piece at the Kent UK show and was intrigue how the turner original turned this piece, its all one piece of wood and the finish inside and out was superb, it even had two captive rings !

This is way beyond my own skill levels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

Now that is unique...Bill..

David - I also admit that is way beyond my skill level but more importantly - it is beyond my imagination! I would have never thought of anything like that in the first place - let alone be able to turn it! Thanks for posting - always interesting to see what others can turn!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow now that is cool. I am like Steve. That is beyond my skill level.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Excellent piece of work, beyond my skills to, I sure would like to see tool arsenal.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    David - I also admit that is way beyond my skill level but more importantly - it is beyond my imagination! I would have never thought of anything like that in the first place - let alone be able to turn it! Thanks for posting - always interesting to see what others can turn!
    Steve,

Do you really think that would be "beyond your skill level" when you turn out beautiful hollow forms like you do?

It would seem to me that a hollow form would be just as hard.

Toney

HI

They do look stunning and like most things they look impossible but once you know how they arent that bad and anyone can make one.

I have made a couple in the past without the pedestal but the process is the same.

To make one without the pedestal you start off with a cube with a bit extra for chucking on one end, and very accuratlly you mark the centre on each face.

Then pick anyone to start and mount it on a screw chuck, now start to hollow out the opposite face, making the hole the right size to fit one of your jaw sets.

Now remove and turn to 90deg so that the side you have just done is now facing out from the lathe and do the next side.

Once you have sanded and finished that side put your chuck on and hold the piece by one of the holes and do the same again, when you have done this turn it 90deg and do the other side.

You should now have a piece of wood with a hole in each side and a solid centre.

Now fix to the screw chuck and turn a chuck foot on the long end and mount in chuck. Now turn that hole and hollow out the centre naking any shape you want for the finial in the centre.

When finished reverse and turn away the chucking foot and make a solid base.

I think that makes sense but I will have a go at making another one soon and will try and get some pictures.

Another way of doing it is like Bob Hamilton does here

john