Thread: jointer question

jointer question

Hi all
    I'm new to the forum and need the advice of those with more experience than myself.
    I'm looking for a 12 " jointer. I have a LOT of maple i will be turning into lumber in next few months. Can you advise me of name brands that i should consider and those to avoid.
    I have a chance at 12" inch Grizzly but am leery about buying Taiwanese/Chinese. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    thanks
    alex

More than half my shop is Grizzly (jointer, planer, shaper, edge sander, power feeder, Shopfox W&H knock-off molder... through Grizzly, cabinet saw). LOTS of folks like Grizzly.

Blog Entries
    "am leery about buying Taiwanese/Chinese"

You're worries are over. Unless you buy old iron and restore it yourself or can afford the few exceptions, TaiChi is the order of the day. The ones I avoid are the "priced like they're still made here, but they aren't" brands. I've given up keeping track. Northfileds may still made with all USA manufactured parts(?). There are also some fine Euro machines.

Many folks here have Deltas, Powermatics, Jets and Grizzlys and seem satisfied in general. I lean toward Grizzly myself as far as bang for the buck goes. If you're looking at the higher price point, Minimax gets a lot of positive press here at the Creek.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-28-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Alex, I just replaced all my stationary tools with Grizzly and very well pleased. But, the age of the tool will make a difference as the quality of Grizzly in early years was not as good apparently. I'm not familiar with their older jointers to know when they started selling the 12".

Whats your location?

What Glenn said....old iron or something from Grizzly or Oliver makes good sense. The country of origin is pretty much pointless to worry about at this point...how the brand controls quality in production is more important. And jointers are pretty simple tools mechanically. As long as the cast iron is flat and the machine is adjusted properly to coplaner, etc., you'll be golden.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the feedback. Craig I'm ~ 30 north of Bellingham Wa. I've been to the grizzly store several times. The responses are reassuring as my ealier experiences with Tai/Chi products has not been good. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex penner View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Craig I'm ~ 30 north of Bellingham Wa. I've been to the grizzly store several times. The responses are reassuring as my ealier experiences with Tai/Chi products has not been good. Thanks
    Theres a guy here in seattle trying to sell a 12 inch griz Jointer for like 1450 1 yr old.I think his price is a bit high but if its a tool your in the market for its a good deal. About 600 off of new after ship and tax.
    This guy wants the buyer to consider taxes and shipping, but its not like hes going to deliver it to you so I think that nuls the shipping.