Thread: Tack Trunk Design

Tack Trunk Design

Hi --

I posted this yesterday in the General Forum and realized that this forum may be more appropriate. I hope I am not violating any cross posting rules.

I am a relative newbie designing a tack trunk for my daughter (tack trunk is a semi mobile chest used to store horse riding equipment -- weight reduction is important ). I'm looking to build something nicer than normal, functional, but not necessarily fine furniture (In the end, it sits in a barn. )

I reviewed available commercial and custom designs and they all seem to be based on 1/2" BB plywood box wrapped by horizontal hardwood bands at the top and bottom -- with the top band often forming the opening plane. Occasionally, some of the nicer ones add vertical corner banding.

My question is what is the appropriate joinery technique for the plywood components. Unless someone feels very strongly about it, I am not particularly interested in the obvious "best" answer: dovetail or box joint or something that requires a router table (i.e. lock miters). My goal is great looking piece that is strong enough. Choices:

1. Rabbet joints (with possible exception of dado on the bottom to provide additional strength and allow for wheels)

2. Butt joints with biscuits (I don't own a biscuit joiner)

3. Butt Joints with screws -- either screwed externally and covered with hardwood banding or screwed internally using inside small square corner braces.

4. Other ideas??

Thanks in advance for the help. There are lots of helpful posts in this forum on 3/4" ply in less active situations, but none to my knowledge on this situation.

Ken

And another newbie PS, can I attach the hardwood directly to the plywood and not have to worry about any HW wood movement?

Ken,

Looks like you are on a role. I need to do the same thing for my LOML Jr.

I'd cut a 3/8" rabbet joint on one side and lay the other side into that joint. Using a water-resistant or proof glue and some 1-5/8" stainless steel screws and cover them with some verticle corner boards. This will hold up well, but by adding a corner "glue block" along the joint on the insde will make it really strong.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

KInda' like this one? 24" long
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tack Box

Ken, Afriend of mine made a tack box for his team of Haf- Langers. Since it was to be a utility box and his harness was heavy he made it out of 3/4 plywood. The thing I really liked was he made it front opening and mounted it to a 2 wheeled dolly. Good luck and enjoy your horses. Craig