Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Business Control

Blog Entries
    Another possibility, combining some previous ideas... what about a designated "employee time". Set aside a one or two hour block each week where employees are allowed to do their own stuff (side jobs) at a significantly reduced rate (essentially cost + a few percent). This way, the employee knows from the get-go anything personal done outside of that time period is a definite no-no. They get to play with the machine and try new ideas, maybe make some cash on the side, and you get the benefits of knowing they'll be happier, are increasing their knowledge base, and any extra wear and tear is measurable. You can also sweeten the pot and tell them they'll get a commission for every sale they bring in during normal operating hours by way of their experiments... incentive to try new ideas and look for new clients. The new clients are typically going to be jobs too large to run during their "employee time" block.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I like your idea, Dan. You know the employee is going to be doing it no matter what, might as well make it work to mutual advantage. Why be a Scrooge when you can be a Fezziwig?

I'm not sure this is possible on a PC (I'm on a Mac) but how about monitoring the directory that temporary print files are kept, rename and save a duplicate version in another directory that is password protected. Or just log when the print took place.

A quick search came up with http://www.filetransit.com/view.php?id=13518 & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/92635.

Just an idea.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I've been a one man band for 20 years now. No employees ever.. Mostly because I have difficulty delegating responsibility. Even my wife won't work for me in the shop, because she knows I'm a perfectionist, and would always be looking over her shoulder. .I can't help it.. Besides, in Ontario I would not only have to pay the employee at least $8.75 hr(minimum wage for just being there), + vacation pay, the employers portion of the government employment insurance and the Canada pension plan. The guy would probably end up taking home more money every week than I do.. Employees just don't understand or really even care about the 'Feast or Famine' aspect of being self employed.

Cratchet!!! stay away from that coal bucket!!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I don't have this problem because I have no employees, but I work part time opening accounts and writing loans in a bank, and there is a camera on me at all times, and i know it. I don't have a problem with it because its disclosed. I do understand why there would be a trust issue with this though. On the other hand, suppose you were to aim the camera at just the engraver? Don't hide it from the employee, make it obvious. The camera does not have to cover the entire shop. This also cuts down on the awkwardness of the employees friends coming in and asking for "favors" because he/she can point out the camera and say no.

If you pointed a camera at the laser itself, it would also provide a way to monitor it via computer while you're not in the shop (on weekends, vacation, etc.) so it could be considered an insurance/security issue, something an employee would not consider odd if you show them how particular you are about the machine that IS your business.

The recordings you get would warn you about theft, break-in, fire or any freak thing that might happen to your shop, which would be helpful in case you need to file a claim.

Just a thought, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Actually Dee, thats not a bad idea. I'm a one man operation but since my workstation is around the corner from the laser, a cheap video cam would let me keep an eye on it while its operating, and work at the computer at the same time.

The label on the front cover does say "fire risk - do not operate unattended." That's all you'd need explain to an employee. But I still say giving an employee some leeway to do personal jobs is the best policy.

Dave

You're right, Dave, it does say that... and we all follow that rule ALL the time, right? A lot of us are "one-man operations" and we can't all stand and stare at the laser every second it's burning. It was fascinating the first month...

Seems like a lot of good suggestions here for Jorge, hopefully he can come up with a workable plan that doesn't make him out a tyrant or a sucker. For me, I guess I'll stay owner-operator and hope I can trust myself!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong