Thread: Grizzly T10010 Sharpener

Grizzly T10010 Sharpener

Has anyone used the Grizzly T10010 sharpener which is similar to the Tormek and Jet sharpeners? What comments on quality, usability, flexibility for sharpening different types of tools, especially turning tools, and other pertinent information. Thanks.

Keith,

While I don't have the Grizzly, I do use a Jet wet sharpener. I had the Jet before I started turning so I decided to buy the accessories for turning tools for my Jet. I now think I would have been better served to put that money toward a slow grinder from Woodcraft and a Wolverine jig. The Jet is excellent for flat work tools, I find the gouge jig hard to use and slower than the Wolverine setup I used at a turning class I took at Woodcraft. With my experience I would not recommend a wet sharpener primarily for turning tools.

Gary
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Would this be a good sharpener for flat wide hand chisels, wood carving knives, hand plane blades, small hand held woodcarving tools including vieners and gouges?

I don't do turning.

I really like my wet sharpener. I have the jet as well but I use the Tormek jigs and setting fixture for my gouges and skew chisels. It works great. I thinlk the Tormek jigs are better than the Jet jigs. Once your edge is set it is easy and very fast to touch up the edge. I have used the slow speed grinder as well and I prefer the final edge with the wet sharpener.

I believe that the Grizzly is the same as the Large Sharptech that was sold in Europe but was not available over hear. From my understanding it is a pretty good machine.

Good Luck

Alan

Will the Tormek jigs work in the grizzly T10010 wet grinder?

Will the Tormek jigs work in the JET Slow Speed Wet Sharpener Model 708015 ?

The Tormek jigs work fine on my Jet sharpener and from what I understand they work on the Grizzly as well. However not ever using the Grizzly I cannot say from personal experience.

Good Luck

Alan

I don't know about the Jet wet sharpener.
    If you use Tormek TTS-100 turning tool setter, it is faster than setting up the vee-arm on the Wolverine. I have both the slow speed grinder with full Wolverine accessories and the Tormek. I have quitted using Tormek because shaping a tool took more patience than I have. I was tired of re-shaping my tools after every class I took.
    Jeff Farris of Tormek USA, gave me some advice on doing it more effectively. I believe the information is in the new Tormek DVD now.
    http://www.tormek.com/en/woodturning/
    There are more preset gouge grinds than shown on the above web page. Refreshing a grind on Tormek is any bit as fast as Wolverine. The best part about this TTS-100 is it will maintain the angle even when the wheel wears down.
    Jeff Farris is a member of this Forum. That was how I contacted him though PM.
    Gordon

Keith,

I have the grizzly sharpener, and have also purchased several Tormek jigs that work flawlessly with the tool. I read a review/test of the Jet/Tormek/Grizzly sharpeners before I bought mine, and the rankings were 1. Tormek 2. Grizzly 3. Jet. I understand that under hard pressure, the Jet wheel stops turning, but the Grizzly and Tormek keep going. I bought one of the Jet jigs first, and exchanged it for the more expensive Tormek. I do not like the Jet jigs at all. I love my grizzly. All of my turning tools are razor sharp now, and very easy to keep them that way. A+++++

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Heine View Post
    Keith,

I have the grizzly sharpener, and have also purchased several Tormek jigs that work flawlessly with the tool. I read a review/test of the Jet/Tormek/Grizzly sharpeners before I bought mine, and the rankings were 1. Tormek 2. Grizzly 3. Jet. I understand that under hard pressure, the Jet wheel stops turning, but the Grizzly and Tormek keep going. I bought one of the Jet jigs first, and exchanged it for the more expensive Tormek. I do not like the Jet jigs at all. I love my grizzly. All of my turning tools are razor sharp now, and very easy to keep them that way. A+++++

Dan
    Great!

So do each and every one of the Tormek jigs work on the Grizzly grinder? Which jigs are you using with the Grizzly?

I'm not a turner, yet, just want to make sure I'm not limiting myself if I get the grizzly.

I have the Jet, love it and use it for sharpening everything. I've never had a problem with the wheel stopping regardless of pressure on the wheel. Jet jigs are ok but agree that Tormek jigs are better.