Thread: Workshop Walls

Workshop Walls

I have just completed covering my workshop walls with 1/2" "birch" plywood and plan to paint them white, using Kilz "acrylic latex enamel". I hope to be able to get away with only one coat of pain. So, should I "raise the grain" first with a damp/wet sponge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    I hope to be able to get away with only one coat of pain.
    I feel the same way about painting.

I guess my question would be do you want to raise the grain? I bet the moisture in the latex sealer will probably raise the grain some. I know that's what I used on my OSB walls, and some of the surface chips released and bulged out during the painting process. I'd be tempted to do some stain, and then some type of sealer with birch ply on the walls. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Good luck Dick! When I painted mine, I put two coats of primer on and then had to use two coats of cover coat. That plywood may have been made from scraps of sponge.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-30-2008 at 1:44 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Good luck Dick! When I painted mine, I put two coats of primer on and then had to use two coats of cover coat. That plywood may have been made form scraps of sponge.
    Well, maybe I need to try a small area because that sounds like way too much effort (and time) for me!!!

Rent an airless sprayer and cut down the work of putting on the number of coats you need to do the job right...at least one of primer and probably two of the actual paint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Use an oil primer. It won't raise the grain and sands much better than latex. Then you can top it with the latex.

Greg

If you use a shellac based primer (Zinnser BIN is what I used), you should only require one coat of primer. Smells like heck but it gets the job done.

I rolled this over OSB, and sprayed one coat of exterior enamel and thats all that was required.

Protection

Dick, If you go the sprayer route, be sure to use proper protection, eyes and lung. Cheap paper covers are not satisfactory and you will be surprised at the amount of spray that will get on your goggles in an enclosed area. But, saying that, it's far faster and gives you a better final product. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Everything about this project has taken 2 or 3 times as long as I thought it would, so why not the painting also!!!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Have you considered....

Laquer or varnish or some other finish that is not water based?

Just a thought

Tony B

Re painting walls you don't say how many square feet,

how many interruptions (windows, doors...) which would affect choice of airless, roller etc.

But for coverage use good primer and you should be able to do it with one coat - I did my plywood with Sherwin Williams A-100 exterior latex primer. Kilz is good product but check with dealer or Shwerin Williams.com for coverage spes. - I think Sherwin owns and makes Kilz if my memory is still intact. Check its planned usage too, as to type of surface.