Thread: Skew Picture

Skew Picture

This is in response to Ross request for a picture of the grind I use on the skew to scrape inside of my natural edge bowls. I have included a picture of it as it sits in the curvature of the inside of the bowl. You can see how I have ground it to fit the curve. The next picture shows the overall picture of the tool resting on my new Doug Thompson 5/8 gouge and Dave Peeple handle....subliminal brag.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 04-29-2008 at 3:35 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Glenn,

What kind of skew is that? I find this is basically using the skew as a negative rake scraper, the edge usually doesn't hold up very well.
    Gordon

Nice drive-by gloat, Glenn.
    I have a question, also. I thought a skew was pointed, and had two bevels. Do you use this as a skew, with the bevel down, or up? Just curious.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I was using a skew like this a long time before I ever head the term, "negative rake scraper." This is the 5 the one I have ground like this. I have used up all the others. They get the inside so smooth I can start sanding at 120 grit or 180 grit and sometimes at 220 grit. I hate sanding. The brand name is P & N and it is there 1 1/8 in. skew. I have thought about trying one even larger. I like the thickness and weight of the wider skew. You are right about the edge not lasting a long time, and I think the Glaser type or Thompson type would last longer. I don't particularly mind the edge not lasting because I dislike the cost of sandpaper and the use of it. I hope this helps.

Allen it is ground on both sides, and I can use it as a skew or a scraper. If I use this one as a skew on a spindle I never get a catch because the points can never get into the wood. I use it up like a regular skew on a spindle and down as a scraper. I have one of these I use which is not ground with this curve, and I use it on the outside down flat, and I sometimes use these on the outside up as a scraper to get the really fine dust or fine finish. I use the one in the picture on the outside when working in a tight curve near the bottom. I have a 3/4 in. one and a 1/2 in one for smaller curves.
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 04-29-2008 at 5:05 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Glenn,

I first heard about the term Negative Rake Scraper "NRS" was from Stuart Batty demo. He had 5 or 6 Sorby beading and parting tools lined up to do the outside of the vessel. He used each tool for no more than 3 or 4 seconds, and change to a fresh tool. Then he took all the tools to the grinder and started all over. Later when he had Jerry Glaser made him the NRS from A11 steel; he said the steel would last much longer. But the more durable V15 steel was too brittle for that purpose. Unfortunately, it was a very limited production item; it was almost impossible to get hold of one.

When I got the 1¼" skew from Thompson, I have been using it as a shear scraper more than a skew. My favorite Hamlet skew is just like a well broken in boots; I am comfortable with it.
    Gordon

How are these better than curved scrapers (single blunt bevel)? Do they cut cleaner?

I get catches with scrapers, don't use them, so I can't answer your question.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Especially if you have large contact area, the catches are sometimes huge.
    Gordon

curved grind skew!

Glenn has seen this idea many years ago as did I. Like he said, "NO POINT TO CATCH. The only scraper that will work near as good is Grumbine's Verticle shear scrape. as posted hear a few weeks ago, or as can be seen in his first video.
    Bob

Thanks for the picture, think I may pick up an inexpensive skew and give it a try. I do like that new gouge and handle!

Thanks for the pictures Glenn. I have a old Benjamins Best that I may try that on.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the visualizations, Glenn - I'll have to give this a try.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2