Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Localvores?

Seriously, I believe that as cities grow and begin to encroach on farmland the increase in pollution, particularly automobile exhaust, is having an effect on the quality of the food produced. Combined with all the chemicals used these days to eradicate pests and increase yield the cumulative affect is a reduction in quality of our farm products. I honestly believe these are more serious issues than the variation of minerals in the soil.

Think Local and act local are two big pushes here in vermont for the past 10 years or more...I think we could do ok here and I do try to shop at the farmers markets and buy local whenever possible. This i a great time of year when they start opening....

I'd do alright as a localvore....maybe even self sufficient.
    I grow corn and use approx. 250 bushels/year to heat my home, the rest I sell.
    I grow my own apples,tomatoes, potatoes, onions, green beans and cucumbers in our garden.
    I trade with my dad for melons, and sweet corn.
    I just started raising chickens for eggs and a few hogs for meat....it's just that old farmer thing I can't get rid of.....deep in the blood I guess.
    I buy a half a processed beef but may have to grow one myself since our suppliers ill health prevents him raising them anymore.

I go to the local farmers market and buy what is in season that we like and try some new stuff....tried fresh apple butter last year, I think it is still in the fridge.....it wasn't a hit, but now we know.

I'm still not gonna buy a cow to milk.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    Think Local and act local are two big pushes here in vermont for the past 10 years or more...I think we could do ok here and I do try to shop at the farmers markets and buy local whenever possible. This i a great time of year when they start opening....
    You don't want me to stop buying Cabot Cheese do you ?
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

I'd have to drive 20 miles or so to the nearby city to get to the farmers' market.

Blog Entries
    We've had a summer vegatable garden for over 30 years here at our present home. We used to fill two freezers with stuff from the garden. Growing your own takes a lot of work and is subject to the whims of nature. Try shucking a bushel of peas and decide if the 2 lb bag from the local frozen food counter isn't a better deal. There have been years when we couldn't give away all the stuff we grew and other years where the harvest was less than the seed we planted.

Nothing in the world beats the taste of sweet corn that is less than 10 minutes from the garden to the table.

We still plan on gardening this year, but how much we wil get is up to Mom Nature!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute