Thread: Bandsaw dust collection mods???

Bandsaw dust collection mods???

I have the Ridgid bandsaw and its dust collection is not up to snuff with what i want. I was considering cuting a 4" hole in the bottom door to attach a fitting to so i can hook it up to my dust collector. I was then going to somehow pipe the undertable dust collector into the 4" fitting installed in the door.

Has anyone done this or something similar to another model???
    pics would be great!!!!!!! i just need some ideas before i go cutting holes in a tool...

thanks,
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

I started experimenting with something like pictured below for my MM-16 but never really got past the prototype stage. I raised the lower guides up a bit which meant that I needed to shorten it and at that point got started on a project and never got back to it. I am convinced the idea is sound though. It doesn't allow for table tilt but most cuts I do don't require it anyway and can be easily removed should I need to make one. In case it is not clear from the picture, there is a piece of Lexan over the front and the clamp was temporary - I drilled and taped the frame to mount the bracket.

I would be interested to see what you come up with as I agree that dust-collection on these saws is sub-par.

bs_dc.jpg
    Last edited by Larry Fox; 05-09-2008 at 8:52 AM.

Here's a link to an article at Highland Hardware (Atlanta) that describes exactly what you are considering.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...n=Custom&ID=20

Nick... I cut a 4" dust port into my Ridgid. It works great. I didnt do anything under the table, so I just use a shop vac to clean the lower guides when Im done. Make sure you install it far enough to the right, so it doesnt hit the motor when you open the door.

Last edited by Lance Norris; 05-09-2008 at 1:30 PM.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Here is a link to a 4" connector with a 2-1/2" takeoff. This will allow you to make something for under table collection, or just hook up the stock Ridgid port. These connectors are hard to find with 4" and 2-1/2"

http://www.nosawdust.com/hose_connectors.htm
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I did something along the lines of Larry's idea with my Walker Turners. With 1/2" thick cast iron doors, cutting a hole in them was not an option so this is what I came up with. I don't have any picture of the finished product, but you should get the idea. With a bit of putty, bondo and some paint it looks great and performs just as well. With the 4" port there's plenty of air flow and virtually no dust escapes. I has originally planned to use rare earth magnets for mounting, but a perfectly placed existing threaded hole was used for mounting.
    wt-dust01.JPG wt-dust02.JPG

Mike

Just this last week I saw a design doing something very similar to Larry's, except using PVC fittings, that attached to the table and was tiltable. The PVC was slotted and surrounded the blade. For the life of me, I can't find it, but I think it was David Charlesworth's.

Has anyone considered a few ventilation holes on the opposite side of the dust port to improve airflow across the blade? I think this might improve dust collection as well as assist in keeping the blade cool.