I am installing a NEMA L6-30P plug for my new 3520B lathe. I have a 30amp outlet in the wall. The plug has a connection identifying the ground wire with a green color code, so I am ok attaching the green wire to that connector. However, there are two other plug screws identified as X and Y. The two remaining wires on the lathe cord are black and white. I am not sure which wire should be attached to the X and Y screws on the plug. The written instructions that came with the (Pass & Seymour) plug are vague. It says "Red, black, etc. insulation for hot conductor only" for the X, Y or Z screw (but my plug does not have a Z screw location). It then says "White or gray insulation for neutral only" and indicates a W connection. On my plug I have nothing that shows a W connection.

I am thinking that it does not matter which remaing plug connector I attach the black and white wire to. They could be attached to either one. Am I on to the right track? As you can see, electric is not my strong suit.