Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need to patch 90 holes in drywall.

Fire blocks are usually for balloon framed buildings but sometimes are in other styles as well.

The easiest way to patch a hole that big is to secure a wood strip behind it with screws on each side then secure a patch on the wood. It is still a real pain and going with the trim is a very very good idea.

Make sure there aren't any other holes (other side) as I know someone who once pumped a lot of insulation into a bathroom where he removed a fan and had an opening into a bay he was pumping cellulose into.

I though it was funny, he didn't.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Maybe it's me, but I haven't had very good luck with hole saws that large and drywall -- getting bad break-out on the back side, sometimes all the way to the front paper. I would use a RotoZip (or equiv.) with a circle template or jig.

Garage drywall takes a beating over the years...from dampness, tools ,etc. If I were insulating my garage walls ,which are only 16 years old....I would just slap another layer of 3/8 drywall ontop of the first layer. Added fire resistance and noise barrier....of course when I did my garage drywall was only 4.00 per sheet!
    Just a thought for you.

Hillbilly fix

Here in the hills, all that fancy screwin' and such is a little too complicated for a country boy. What we do is wad up a bunch of newspaper ad shove it in the hole, making sure it is bigger than the hole itself. Cut a patch piece to fit, butter the edges good with spackle or better yet fixall with a little elmers white glue added, and stick it in place. Spackle and sanding do the rest. worked fine when I got a little peeved with my no. 1 son and put my fist through the wall.

2FO2BB

Another Approch

Maybe you could just cut out a 6" wide strip the entire length of the wall. After insulation is done, replace drywall, screw to studs, tape and float.

The only problem I see with this is that it might be difficult to keep the insulation in the wall at and above the 6" opening.

John,

I've got to admit that when I read the subject, my first thought was, "man, that was one seriously ticked off guy to punch 90 holes in his walls." I've had some projects that had me cussing like a Sailor (oops, I am a Sailor!), but nothing to that extent.

Sorry, I'll go back into my hole....

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck View Post
    John,

Sorry, I'll go back into my hole....

Keith
    Into your hole? I get it. Funny. Now we're up to 91.

I'm with Ryan and JohnT--cut the drywall so you have one joint to tape, mud and sand, not 45. Fill the small air holes with lightweight spackle. If you try to patch a 3" hole without any sort of tape, it will crack. You could also cut the drywall first (then they wouldn't need air holes), have them only fill it to the top edge of the drywall, then tuck in some fiberglass insulation (the cellulose will settle anyway) and repair the drywall strip.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

California drywall patch.

Works well. I've done this several times.

http://www.jasongraphix.com/archive/...rywall_patches

That is pretty cool, Steve, I may have to give that a try. I'd add the wood back no matter what, though. Also, I'd make the patch piece first, then trace it onto the wall to cut out with the drywall saw.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    California drywall patch.

Works well. I've done this several times.

http://www.jasongraphix.com/archive/...rywall_patches
    Yep and agreed but doing this "California Patch" for 90 holes sounds a bit extreme!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'll drink to that, Chris! But I do have one question for you: since YOU are in CULLIFORNIA, how come you didn't let us in on this "California Patch"?
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I'll drink to that, Chris! But I do have one question for you: since YOU are in CULLIFORNIA, how come you didn't let us in on this "California Patch"?
    Apparently Mom didn't tell him too

dry wall patch

John
    I see ther are a lot of good sujestion for repairing your dry wall. I would first ask the insulation installer what size holes you need at the bottom and the exact location of the holes on the wall in relationship to the floor and ceilling. I would also ask who is responsible to install the holes.
    next as for repairing the dry wall the california patch would be the best ( I have never heard it called that befor). The only problem with putting a board in the back to support the dry wall is that now you have filled th cavity with insulation. When you do start your patching I would get all the holes filled first then use a easey sand 45 for your first coat then follow up with what ever kind of compound you like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I got stuck on "stupid" and couldn't break free....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.