Thread: I've done it, i've gone neander

I've done it, i've gone neander

I've gone Neander.

I'm posting here to ask other neanders which tools to get first. I'm moving to England in about three weeks and im going neander the whole time i'm there. I just sold all my power tools with the exception of the tablesaw, two drills, a small grinder, and a skilsaw. I'm about to get rid of the tablesaw shortly. the others it seems i couldnt get rid of if i gave them away.

I'm now rounding out my hand tool collection and am looking for a sawset right this minute. (I posted on the SMC classifieds already) I have an adequate collection of planes. i can get by with my four mortise chisels and my four bench chisels as well. i have handsaws and have shaprened one of them the other day. cuts great now!!! i couldnt believe how well it cuts. straight and quick!

a good brace is on the top of the list of things to get along with molding and side escapement planes, spokeshaves, drawknives, beading tools and some floats.

Thanks Pam Niedermayer (hope i spelled that right) and a few other creekers. I agree with what she said in that it'll be good for me.

I've been going more towards the hand tool side lately anyway. there is something about knowing exactly what youre doing and actually feeling more connected while youre doing it. hopefully that conveys the sentiment. but, that's whats got me hooked.

Thanks,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

there is something about knowing exactly what youre doing
    While I am not neander in any sense of the word, I have had that feeling a little lately when using my plane and chisels. Running a bunch of wood against my router bit, using patterns and learning how to use new jigs, sometimes I honestly don't know what I've done until I stop the machine and take a good look. You never have that issue when you're scraping or chiseling something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
    a good brace is on the top of the list of things to get along with molding and side escapement planes, spokeshaves, drawknives, beading tools and some floats.
    If you're interested in molding and side escapement planes, you may want to wait until you get across the pond. It seems like the supply of these planes is more plentiful over there than it is over here.

The UK is chock full of beautiful old tools, piles of boxwood, buying there would be a great excuse to get out and about.

Pam

old tools in England

True the UK is full of beautiful old tools, but be prepared to pay for it. Especially with current exchange rates you don't want to use your dollars to buy old tools here.