Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Woodwork

Talking My Woodwork

Dear Fellows
    How are you all? It is my first thread and first post on this great site. First of all i want to share somthing about myself.

1) I am not wood worker by birth....
    2) I am mechanical engineer by proffession...
    3) I started woodworking about 3 months ago...
    4) My english is not as good as urs...
    5) I love wood work...
    6) I always edit first post of my first thread..

With all above info,I want to share some of my work...Note that all of my wood work created with my homemade CNC router...if u see any defect then please go through point-I & 3 above.

Regards

Khattak
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-21-2009 at 1:05 AM. Reason: See Point-6 of my post:)

2. Nice job Khalid, I would like to see some pictures and more information on your CNC router.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph B. Chritz View Post
    Nice job Khalid, I would like to see some pictures and more information on your CNC router.
    Thank u Joseph
    I built my first machine out of steel without plan (just sketched it in my mind)...and currently my second machine out of MDF is 95% completed The second machine is completly designed by me in AutoCAD and all the MDF parts cut with the help of my 1st machine

The working area of my Steel router (1st Machine) is 33" x 25" whereas my MDF machine, the second one ,has working area of 45" x 35"...

My Steel router rapid at 150IPM and cutting at 100IPM with 200 oz-in stepper motors using SLA6702 based modular card with 35V power supply. I built my steel router in 10 days and then i am contineously debottlenecking it....
    Last edited by Khalid Khattak; 05-01-2008 at 2:27 PM.

Welcome Khalid.
    Very nice work on the CNC machine. It seems as though you have a talent.
    Was the design of the carving created by you? It is very nice and well executed as well.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thanks for the pictures of your machine. I like to see what others do to make their machines work. I'm sure you had a lot of fun building it and great satisfaction when it was finished.
    I've recently built a fourth axis for my router. I used an old wood lathe and a servo motor and drive it with Mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    Welcome Khalid.
    Very nice work on the CNC machine. It seems as though you have a talent.
    Was the design of the carving created by you? It is very nice and well executed as well.
    John
    Thank u John for appreciation
    The design was created by my Wife and i executed it on my machine...
    Joseph
    I am also incorporating 4th axis in my new MDF based machine...I got 6" 3-Jaws chuck and remaining parts will be out of MDF... I will try to learn 4th axis programming....Can i see ur machine????

7. Here's a better picture of my router.
    The pedestal has holes drilled and tapped 2 inches apart with a sacrificial top. It is very rigid has been handy. 4 screws hold it down.

The fourth axis has 3 screws and the motor mount plate has 3 screws.
    It just takes a few minutes to take them off if I work on big sheets.
    A little longer to put them back on if I want them straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph B. Chritz View Post
    Here's a better picture of my router.
    The pedestal has holes drilled and tapped 2 inches apart with a sacrificial top. It is very rigid has been handy. 4 screws hold it down.

The fourth axis has 3 screws and the motor mount plate has 3 screws.
    It just takes a few minutes to take them off if I work on big sheets.
    A little longer to put them back on if I want them straight.
    Joseph B...First of all, very nice and sturdy setup ....Can u tell me the speed/feed u r getting out of it when working on wood....Could u please show me the thread where u have posted the details of machine...Did u designed the machine ur self?? What type of rails u r using...are u using Ball screws or ACME rods..lot of other questions.....

I am new to the world of CNC and am looking for information on where people get there designs to cut.

What software is the best, I here alot about v-carve but it is out of my price range for a hobbiest.

Any information is appriciated.

10. Hi Tim,

If you haven't already done so, do a search for Mach3.

It's the software I use to drive my CNC router.

They have a couple of forums dealing with building, debugging, programming, etc.

They have a section called "Share you Gcode" that should be pretty interesting.

When you get bored there any search with CNC in it will keep you busy for a while.

11. I didn't design or build my CNC, I bought it in 1999 and just use it for hobby.

I've had it apart several times and changed a few things, but it has been a prety good machine.

The rails are 3/4 thompson shaft (hard case) with linear guide ball bushings.

The screws are precision acme with wear compensating nuts.

My biggest complaint is the spindle is loud. That can be fixed for a price.

Anyone need some parts? I have four or five servo motors, a 7 foot long ball drive shaft with the ends and several pairs of precision shafts with linear bearings from 3 feet to 12 feet long. They were all salvaged from the Ultrsonic "C" Scan machine I got from NASA Langley so they are very high quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Anyone need some parts? I have four or five servo motors, a 7 foot long ball drive shaft with the ends and several pairs of precision shafts with linear bearings from 3 feet to 12 feet long. They were all salvaged from the Ultrsonic "C" Scan machine I got from NASA Langley so they are very high quality stuff.

PM Sent

nathan

Joseph I have two problems.. 1).LoUD SPINDLE ROUTER 2) DUST

Some Fun Work playing with my CNC
    The work i presented in this post is some of my initial experimentation with CNC...I am using VECTRIC VCARVE PRO , CUT3D....I also have Visual Mill, Artcam Insignia, Artcam Pro....My controller is MACH3...
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (96.5 KB, 196 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (101.6 KB, 188 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (97.2 KB, 164 views)

Talking

Some more work of mantel pieces...