Thread: HVLP Choices

HVLP Choices

I've sprayed a few of my projects with a HF 43430 gun and my 25 gal. oil-less compressor (5.7cfm@90). I like the finish, but: 1) I don't like the noise 2) the compressor runs about 80% of the time.

I started looking at larger oiled compressors and realized that I will need to spend between $400-$800 to get a decent 60 or 80 gal. compressor. Then I started to think - would it be better to just buy a HVLP system w/ dedicated turbine?

What are the pluses/minuses and experiences of turbine system owners?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, before I got my current pp-based conversion setup I had a Fuji turbine-based unit and, while it performed ok, it was REALLY REALLY noisy. The one I had used the equivalent of a vacum cleaner motor and it was really high-pitched. I think there are quieter ones out there but I don't think any of them are really all that quiet. You say your compressor runs 80% of the time - a turbine runs 100% of the time. Also, if you invest in a larger compressor you can use it to power a lot of other tools but if you sink the $$ into a turbine unit you have a spray outfit and that is it.

That is a large subject for sure.

The only disadvantage I have heard of is that sometimes the air is warmer which may cause premature flash of very fast drying finishes. I am not sure how much that is a theoretical problem over a real one.

I picked up a decent compressor for about $350 and it does a very nice job.

Also I like to use a top cup gun and I don't know if they are available on a turbine unit.

A good turbine unit will cost a lot of dough.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks for the input.

I happened to go by Lowe's last night and they just received some new 60 & 80 gal. Campbell Hausfeld compressors. The 60 gal. is $400 w/ 10cfm @ 90 and the 80 is $650 with 16 cfm @ 90. I was originally concentrating on the 60's but this 80 gal cfm's got me rethinking. BTW - this 80 gal seems to be selling for $1000+ on-line.

Mike

I will be getting the Earlex 5000 if/when I decide to do some spraying. It has been getting some decent reviews lately.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...oductid=147650

The Wood Whisperer has a good review of it on his site.

I have an Apollo 1000, 4-stage turbine. It was between that and a similar Fuji when I was shopping for them some 4-5 years ago. The gun is great and works very well and I've had zero problems with the equipment.

Loud? Oh yeah! Very very loud. Jet engine loud. The noise is my main beef with my system but other than that, I love it. I even spray good ole latex with it just fine and with excellent results. One advantage I'm told with the turbine is that the air is warm and very dry...or maybe it gets dry because it is warm? I dunno but this is supposed to be an advantage.

However, a turbine like mine is in the $600-$1000 range so they aren't for everyone. I'd go with a nicer, larger compressor and look seriously at the Wagner HVLP guns. Jim Becker reviewed one on his site and most folks who get one seem to like it quite a bit...and I think they are under $100.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I happened to go by Lowe's last night and they just received some new 60 & 80 gal. Campbell Hausfeld compressors. The 60 gal. is $400 w/ 10cfm @ 90 and the 80 is $650 with 16 cfm @ 90. I was originally concentrating on the 60's but this 80 gal cfm's got me rethinking. BTW - this 80 gal seems to be selling for $1000+ on-line.

Mike
    I have the 60 gal version. It is fine for spraying. I don't think my gun is one of the more air hungry, but somewhere in the middle. Where it runs short is sandblasting, heavy use of my impact gun or driving long screws/bolts with my air ratchet. With those tools, there comes a point where you just have to wait for the compressor to pressure back up. It takes a few minutes. I will probably upgrade to a 2-stage in the future as I do more and more of that stuff now that I have a compressor that's capable (almost). Try to track down one of the 10% of anything Lowes coupons.
    Jay St. Peter