Thread: Clean Stanley no. 985N brace

Clean Stanley no. 985N brace

I've a Stanley no. 985N brace which has a gummy gear mechanism I'd like to clean out.

I can't figure out how to get it apart though. I tried pushing on the ping seen in the gear, but it would not move (hammer and pin) - any hints?

stanley_965n_gears.jpg

Jim

my advice, for what it's worth - first level is always non-invasive. Surgery (disassembling) comes later if required.
    Since you describe it as gummy, I highly recommend Kano Labs Kroil - small molecule oil that is amazing at penetrating assemblies.

I concur with Joe. On an open gear like that, it'd have to have gravel in it before I'd think about disassembly. Get some newspapers or similar (or work over a trash can) and spray like mad, using the penetrating oil to flush out the gum, grit, spiders, etc. From time to time, operate the mechanism. Repeat (this is the tool repair version of "Lather, rinse, repeat," you realize).

Spiders? :-)

Blog Entries
    I might add that if you do not have a special product, soaking in WD40, Kerosene, or Mineral Spirits has cleared many a locked brace or drill mechanism for me. I start out by just submerging the mechanism and leaving it for days, weeks....There is another product I have become quite fond of that is biodegradable and available at your local Lowe's. Krud Kutter is amazing at dissolving greasy, grimy, dirty Krud. Goof Off is another easy to find product that can be helpful.

If soaking does not work for me I spray the mechanism with Krud Kutter and try to work it. Krud Kutter almost always removes another layer of some sort of krud. I generally soak the mechanism again after getting the Krud Kutter down into it. A spray can of WD40 works well to clean out Krud Kutter & Krud too. I don't soak objects in Krud Kutter and remove it after it has had a little time to work its magic.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 12-22-2011 at 2:56 PM.

I'd guess that's lithium grease. Had a brace just like that. Nothing gets that stuff out like lacquer thinner, but be warned--it's the most awful-smelling, obnoxious, toxic, carcinogenic stuff imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I might add that if you do not have a special product, soaking in WD40, Kerosene, or Mineral Spirits has cleared many a locked brace or drill mechanism for me. I start out by just submerging the mechanism and leaving it for days, weeks....There is another product I have become quite fond of that is biodegradable and available at your local Lowe's. Krud Kutter is amazing at dissolving greasy, grimy, dirty Krud. Goof Off is another easy to find product that can be helpful.
    And while we're at it, I've seen, a couple of times, a chart from some comparison research that demonstrates that a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid is even more effective as a penetrating oil than any of the commercial products. I'd be sure to wear nitrile gloves (you can get disposables, or thicker reusables, at any hardware store) when using it, but that's probably a good idea with any of the penetrating fluids if you're getting a lot of skin contact.