Thread: Shephard shoulder plane

Shephard shoulder plane

I know that several of you use Shephard planes, and I was wondering if any of you have the Shephard (#8, I believe) shoulder plane in 1-1/4" or 1-1/2". If so what are your impressions? Right now I would like to limit my shoulder planes to one, so I would like a larger plane than the .70 LV. I would like a real shoulder plane (not the LV 60-1/2R). That seems to limit me to the large LN, a Clifton, a used Record, or the Shephard. I emailed Ben, and he was kind enough to get right back to me. Before I commit the amount required, I thought that I would ask. Anyway thanks for your help. (Choices, Choices. Yes, I know, I over think these things. )
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I have two infill shoulder planes that I made from kits by the now defunct Hoosier Tool. The end product is probably the same as the Shepherd kits. I built a 1-1/2" and a 1". If I were to have only one it would be the 1". The 1-1/2" is uncomfortably large for most jobs. It's a bit precarious balancing a plane that wide and heavy on a narrow tenon shoulder. The wide plane is still good for trimming tenon cheeks and fine tuning wide rabbets, but the 1" is the one I reach for the most.

I've used all three of the metal shoulder planes you mentioned (LN, Record, Clifton) as well as owning a Stanley #93. All cut wonderfully, although the Stanley is a bit too lightweight. I prefer infills to all those. It's probably aesthetics more than anything else.

I have the 1 1/2

Llloyd...I have the 1 1/2 that I built during the Neander Meander last year and I really like it...our Guild will be building planes with Doug and Ben on April 10th and some more shoulders will be built...I'm moving up to the mitre plane...
    In my opinion, which is worth what you have paid for it, the 1 1/2 is a little too large if you are limited to one shoulder plane. While I use it a lot, the smaller shoulder planes get used a bit more..
    Search the archives here, I believe I posted some pics when I built it...on my way out the door in a minute so I can't look myself...e-mail me if you have questions...
    Roger

In addition to the other suggestions here I would add that if you have not had the experience of building your own planes, that there is much to be gained from the experience. It has increased my knowledge and confidence, such that I would not hesitate to tune most any other plane or other hand tool. I had the advantage of being close enough to Shepherd Tool to be able to go to their shop and benefit from Ben and Doug's advice.

The experience has broadened my scope and skill set to a far greater extent than just purchasing a built plane. If your are considering building a Shepherd kit I would encourage you to do so. Yes you will make some mistakes, but you will learn so much by doing so. Few mistakes will be fatal and the guys will help you out if you need it.

John