Thread: Newbie pen turning questions

Question Newbie pen turning questions

I'm getting ready to buy all the mandrels, drill bits, bushings and other stuff I need to make pens, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I have not turned any pens yet, but I'm told the thick cigar style pens are harder to make than the slimline pens. What makes the thick pens harder to make?

2. I've seen nice pens from Woodcraft, Penn State and Woodturners Catalog. Who makes the best or are they all the same quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Newton
    I'm getting ready to buy all the mandrels, drill bits, bushings and other stuff I need to make pens, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I have not turned any pens yet, but I'm told the thick cigar style pens are harder to make than the slimline pens. What makes the thick pens harder to make?

My son makes most of the pens in our house but I have turned a few. I'm not sure why one would think slim line's are easier unless it's because they quite often are straight and have no shape/design.

2. I've seen nice pens from Woodcraft, Penn State and Woodturners Catalog. Who makes the best or are they all the same quality?
    I have purchased from all three of the above...pretty much on par. Just stay away from the pens that have prices that are too good to be true, the pens are not worth your effort...been there and tried that

I had a bad experience with one of the smaller home based suppliers on both trying to get my order then the quality of tehe product.

Andy

One thing you should do is pick your pen kit supplier before you buy your mandrels and bushings. In most cases, it's best to use the gear from the same place you get the kits as there are variations. Using bushings and kits from one manufacturer on another manufacturer's mandrel may work most of the time...but there are exceptions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome to Pen Turning!!!

Turning a cigar pen is not more difficult its putting the thing together. The directions can be a little difficult to understand. The biggest problem with pen turning is the directions. To turn the cigar pen to the bushings, just make sure you have the correct bushing in the right position. You should get a digital caliper and measure then to make sure they are in the correct position. HF has calipers at a pretty good price. Always lay all your pen parts out before you start putting it together.. They are a bear to take apart..

Check out http://pocwoodworking.com/ they sell PSI items and have great customer service..

Also check out http://www.penturners.org/ great group of folks there, a lot of the same folks who hang out here !!

Good Luck
    Keep those lathes spinning
    TheWrightPen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Wright
    Welcome to Pen Turning!!!

Turning a cigar pen is not more difficult its putting the thing together. The directions can be a little difficult to understand. The biggest problem with pen turning is the directions. To turn the cigar pen to the bushings, just make sure you have the correct bushing in the right position. You should get a digital caliper and measure then to make sure they are in the correct position. HF has calipers at a pretty good price. Always lay all your pen parts out before you start putting it together.. They are a bear to take apart..

Check out http://pocwoodworking.com/ they sell PSI items and have great customer service..

Also check out http://www.penturners.org/ great group of folks there, a lot of the same folks who hang out here !!

Good Luck
    Thanks Julie. I appreciate the info and advice. Hopefully, I will soon be able to participate in the Freedom Pen Project.

Pen Stuff

Cliff,
    Listen to the folks who have already posted. They make excellent points. Julie says that assembled pens are, "a bear" to dissemble. Make that "virtually impossible". She's just trying to be nice. Also, pens are pens when it comes to turning them. As she suggests, follow the directions. "Slimlines", "Cigars", "Push", "Press", whatever. No sweat! Again, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! If I could read, I would certainly follow directions.

Jim Becker makes makes an EXCELLENT point. Before you become addicted to this life-altering "turning thing". Check out several suppliers. Some will sell you "components". Others are in the business of selling "kits". "Kits" are not a problem unless you are a klutz like me. I make soooo many mistakes that I need a LOT of "fill in" components. Why throw away a $3 "kit" for the lack of a "push-in" bushing?

Check out the suppliers that the SMC experts recommend. Talk to these suppliers and see if they meet your needs. I won't comment here because I have had a couple of minor problems with a couple of the "name" brands".

C'mon folks. Give Cliff the "skinny" on this thing. I need the same information so I'll be watching.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Jim Becker makes makes an EXCELLENT point. Before you become addicted to this life-altering "turning thing". Check out several suppliers. Some will sell you "components".
    Here is the pen I want to make. I've never held one, but it looks solid and durable and pretty to boot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Newton
    Here is the pen I want to make. I've never held one, but it looks solid and durable and pretty to boot.
    I've seen some of these turned recently by another woodworker and they are a really nice pen, especially when you want to highlight a special piece of wood. The extra size of this design makes for more wood to see. The particular one that I saw the other day on another forum was made from Makore and it just shimmered!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...