Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How's business??

Now I get the joke.... Had to log in to see the picture.

911 Signs..... A easy new product that could work well in some areas is the metal 911 signs. I do the blue and green reflective signs with 4 inch reflective letters on them.

They are 6 x 18 and I use pre stamped numbers and make them on the spot. You simply lay out the letters on top of the sign with the backing still on it and get the position. I use 2 six inch rulers on each end to help.

Then place a piece of masking tape on one end of the letter to act as a hinge. Check placement one more time. Fold the letter back and remove the backing and press the letter in place. Some areas like here are just getting 911 number assignments.

I get my blanks from Grimco.com my contact is Penny. pehlen@grimco.com

The letters come in pre cut packs of 25 for less than $5.00 if you order 25 packs. Get a bunch of 1's as they will be the first to go. I give $2.00 per sign to my local Fire Dept and we both win.

This lead me to getting a plotter to make Street Signs too. With the Street Signs they need the new thick diamond Prism reflective material. Since it is harder to cut they came up with a different way to make them. The sign blank has white prism reflective on it. With a plotter you cut the thin film of blue or green with the sign name letters being weeded out. When applied the blue or green is reflective from the white under it and the letters are at full brightness.

Just an idea....

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 05-08-2008 at 10:32 AM.

It's funny, My wife and I live on what seems to be a 'tread water' financial situation.. If the money rolls in, so do the unexpected bills ..treading water.. If a big bill comes in, the money shows up to cover it..treading water... This has been so consistent over the years, it's freaky.. So this spring I tried a 'dangerous' experiment.. I spent...and Spent.. New compressor, corel X4, Sandblast equipment, new scanner, even bought a complete brand new outdrive for my boat, and ordered a new heating system for the house (getting off oil, for gas before it costs me 3 grand for heat next winter) and guess what!!! I have just had the best April I've had in 20 years, and May has started out the same..I have not stopped in 5 weeks, one job after another, and 8 more backed up behind it..I'm now telling most customers, it will be at least a week before I can even look at their project.. The U.S$ is down, so my shipments to the U.S. have dropped a bit, but my Canadian customers have quadrupled this year.. I can't complain at all 'yet' .. But, as we all know it's feast or famine.. Right now I'm in 'feast' next month may be famine.. All things considered, it's better to be a ant than a grasshopper I guess...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I have just had the best April I've had in 20 years, and May has started out the same..I have not stopped in 5 weeks

Oh great, so now we know why none of us are having any luck, Bill here is hogging it all
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Hey, Bill, if you need a hand, feel free to send some of your overflow my way! I'm currently in the "famine" cycle, with no feast in sight. And your "treading water" theory isn't working on me. Just had a $1200 repair on my car ... still waiting for the $1200 contract to cover it!
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.

Ain't it the Truth

Bill, sounds like self employment. Feast or famine. It seems the peaks and valleys are a little more severe in the last year. We have practiced the feast and famine business model for years, they just seem to be more drastic lately. Glad to hear you are happy and fat, today.

I passed your info on to a young lady named Gemma today Frank.. Im not sure where in the UK she is, but Your a LOT closer than I am.. I have not heard back from her hope she gets in touch.. Vicky starting up is tough, I'll bet I was 5 years before I drew anything from the business, My wife had a house cleaning business at the time, and she was raking it in so we got by.. Due to her partners poor health, they retired the business last year. So it's all on me now.. And Rob.. Yup yer right. I 'am' happy and Fat (hmmm can he see me?) Today.. But I'm also a realist, next month is probably going to be totally dead, and I'm saving up for it.. Like I said, it's better to be an ant than a grasshopper..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Thanks Bill, I'll let you know if she comes back to me. I'm glad you're doing well.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender