Thread: Jig saws

Jig saws

Remember jig saws, before scroll saws took over the world, and the portable cutting devices which are supposed to be called saber saws appropiated the name "jigsaw"?

I'm looking for one of these old school jig saws. Does anyone still make them? An auction site search turns up a bunch of ...saber saws.

thanks
    Dave

Edify the rest of us. What does one of those old jig saws look like?

Bosh makes an attachment that allows a jig saw to be used upside down sort of like a router in a table - but not really the same as the old jig saws. I guess with today's bandsaws, scroll saws and jigsaws, those old machines went the way of the dinosaurs. They did work very well tho.
    Last edited by Vince Shriver; 05-06-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Edify the rest of us. What does one of those old jig saws look like?
    Here you go!

I have many hours on one of these when I was in junior high, wish I still had one so the grandkids could use it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Educate me Dave. Aside from the name changing to scroll saws, what is the difference?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Educate me Dave. Aside from the name changing to scroll saws, what is the difference?
    I'm not Dave, but the difference was a heavier blade and the arm didn't move. The top of the blade was secured to a head that was spring loaded so it could move up and down. The table would also tip on most models for angled cuts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you have a Shopsmith, there are still jigsaws floating around on the Bay and Craigslist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cavanaugh View Post
    Remember jig saws, before scroll saws took
    over the world, and the portable cutting devices which are supposed to be called saber saws appropiated the name "jigsaw"?

I'm looking for one of these old school jig saws. Does anyone still make them? An auction site search turns up a bunch of ...saber saws.

thanks
    Dave

Remember jig saws, before scroll saws took over the world, and the portable cutting devices which are supposed to be called saber saws appropiated the name "jigsaw"?

thanks
    Dave
    Not sure what you are looking for. I'll agree that the term Jigsaw has been overloaded, it can mean a portable saw like the popular Bosch line of saws or the floor model saw that also goes by the name of Scrollsaw.

You can also look at a "Sawzall" or the more generic "reciprocating saw" Those use larger blades that are inline with the body of the saw and are made for heavy cutting operations like demolition since they can be fitted with bimetal blades that will cut through nails like butter.

Which one are you thinking about?

Lee got it. Thanks for the picture; that was exactly what I'm looking for, and for one of the reasons he quoted. I teach shop, and the scroll saws we have are a little too delicate for 9th and 10th graders, and they seem to be unable to master the blade change mechanism. The old jig saws were more robust and a little easier to change blades on, and not nearly as fussy as a modern scroll saw. Unfortunately, when scroll saws became the rage about 15 or 20 years ago, the jig saw name got moved over to the portable tools we used to call saber saws. If anyone knows of a jig saw similar to the one in Lee's photo that is in decent shape and for sale, please let me know.

Thanks

Here is an oldie that you were thinking of. I have had this for over 20 years and it is stored in my basement. Its a Rockwell/Delta / Model 40-100 Homecraft 16". Works perfectly! Haven't used it in a while since I now have a Hegner Multimax 18V (scroll saw).

Rockwell40100SrollSaw1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    If you have a Shopsmith, there are still jigsaws floating around on the Bay and Craigslist
    ...and if you don't, keep your eyes peeled. Old Shopsmiths are out there for cheap too.

I just saw TWO of those old jigsaws/scroll saws at a flea market, both identical Sears Craftsman models that looked like they might have dated from the late 40's or 50's. One was priced at $10 (with motor) and would have required some serious restoration. The other one (didn't notice the price) was sans motor, but looked to be in great condition.

Check www.owwm.org and ask around there about these saws. They're definitely available all over. Make a contribution and check that forum's classifieds, and keep an eye on Craigslist.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Found one on the auction site in Portland, about 3 hours south of me. I think I'll bid on it.

Thanks for the help and tips.

Found one on the auction site in Portland, about 3 hours south of me. I think I'll bid on it.

Thanks for the help and tips.
    Dave i think this is what your looking for

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/671760956.html