Thread: Built a poker table but need chairs

Blog Entries

Built a poker table but need chairs

Thought I'd build a poker table while work was slow this winter but I dont build chairs. Didnt know if there was any information on chair specs on here or the net. Any detailed info would be useful. Thks Jack

Chairmaking is an art unto itself. Most woodworkers avoid chairmaking because it involves a lot of "fussy joinery" angles, etc. But it's not that hard to do "right".

A good article:
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...f.aspx?id=2881

a good book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Chairmaking-De.../dp/1933502061
    David DeCristoforo

I agree with David. Chairs aren't that difficult - for your first one you just need to go slow and think it through. Once you build one, the second will be much easier.

I enjoy the challenge of making chairs. When you get to designing your own, it'll be a bit more of a challenge to get a chair that looks good and sits good.

Miller's book "Chairmaking and Design" is a good resource. Pay attention to the chair seat height, the seat width and length, and the angle of the back - to make a comfortable chair.

Good luck. If you can build a table, you can build a chair.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Thx...I dont have a problem with jointery but want a comfortable chair. Trying to figure the best degree on the back rest...Jack

Read the books and articles. Don't try to "figure it out". Chair design offers a lot of latitude but at the same time it must be done within a fixed set of parameters based on the ergonomics of the human form. If you want your chairs to be comfortable, follow the known parameters, at least until you have acquired enough of an understanding of them to be able to vary them with some expectation of success. This is one of those areas where there is little point in attempting to "reinvent the wheel". It's very easy to design a great looking chair that no one can sit it for more than a few moments....
    David DeCristoforo