Thread: gloss finish question

gloss finish question

I sprayed a gloss finish on a dresser I am making. Can I rub out the finish and take some of the shine away? I want a finish with more shine than semi-gloss but not the wet look that I have with the gloss. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
    Stephen

Practice on some scrap, but you should be able to knock down the gloss with 0000 steel wool or the synthetic equivelant. It's always easier to go down in gloss that up

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I have had some success with...

I have had some success with finishes that are too glossy by using a semi-gloss, or satin as my final coat. This has worked well with all of the wipe on products I have used over time. However, as I don't spray too often, I am not certain what the results would be with your finish.

As the other fellow mentioned, give it a test on a sample first.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeHut
    I have had some success with finishes that are too glossy by using a semi-gloss, or satin as my final coat. This has worked well with all of the wipe on products I have used over time. However, as I don't spray too often, I am not certain what the results would be with your finish.

As the other fellow mentioned, give it a test on a sample first.

Chris
    I've had luck with auto polishing compound on lacquer. Test it first with your finish.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work