Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time for a cabinet saw...but which one???

Time for a cabinet saw...but which one???

Yes, I did use the search but it didn't help much. I'm in the market for a cabinet saw since my workload is getting bigger building items for our store and although I love my Shopsmith, it is slowing me down too much when it comes to making $$$.

Money is not an issue but I want to strike a balance of quality/price without spending more than I need to (no I'm not too keen on a SawStop). One of my "must haves" is a riving knife but I'm not sure who is currently producing 3hp cab saws with them. I would like to buy once and be done with it. Opinions?

J.R.

I am sure you will get lots of opinions here but, if it were me and money were no object I would look at a Euro slider. I have never used one but have seen one and was VREY impressed.

Larry, I hear you on the euro sliders but if I did start looking in that direction then SWMBO would make the money an issue

J.R.

Powermatic PM2000 if you want to stay from SawStop and the Euro sliders. Can get a Griz for couple hundred less, but doesn't quite have the features as the Powermatic does.

I am not sure what the riving knife position is with General so I cannot comment on that ... however, I have a General 650 and I really do like it ... check them out! (edit: miss read your location and had you in Canada!)
    Last edited by Luther Oswalt; 05-07-2008 at 4:04 PM.

John,

Sticking with a riving knife, I would say a PM2000 unless you want to really spend the money on a Euro.

I am in the process of deciding on a TS also.

I had originally talked myself into a Grizzly then talked myself into a PM2000 and now am leaning towards the Sawstop.

Just out of curiosity, why are you not so keen on the Sawstop? That is what I am favoring and would like a differing opinion on the saw.

It's a no brainer if money is no object.

The General 650R-T50 has a riving knife and is available now through Eagle Tools in LA. This saw is made in Canada and uses a Baldor motor. Both the sawstop and the PM2000 are asian made with unspecified motors. I was not impressed with the fit and finish or the top on the PM2000. It looks like the General is the last true quality cabinet saw available.

Dan

Can you still use a cabinet saw in CA?

PM2000, but I just got a saw stop again wondering why not a sawstop, you can alwas disable the break and it is still a great saw.
    -=Jason=-

There are a number of choices now with riving knives. General, Jet, PM, etc., all have them, although some are new models and in short supply like the Jet.

If you can budget it, however...I'm in agreement about the Euro slider. It's really changed my world and I love it. (coming from a cabinet saw to the slider just over a year ago)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    It looks like the General is the last true quality cabinet saw available.

Dan
    OH BOY.

(grabs a coke and popcorn, sits in chair and waits).........
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Too bad you're not in Florida... I'd give you a good deal on a 6-month-old PM2000 and I'd upgrade to the SawStop!

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    OH BOY.

(grabs a coke and popcorn, sits in chair and waits).........

Move over Glen....and give me some of that popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    The General 650R-T50 has a riving knife and is available now through Eagle Tools in LA. This saw is made in Canada and uses a Baldor motor. Both the sawstop and the PM2000 are asian made with unspecified motors. I was not impressed with the fit and finish or the top on the PM2000. It looks like the General is the last true quality cabinet saw available.

Dan
    I'll give another General 350/650 vote. I use Canadian made Galaxy equipment for my day job and I'm slowly going green in my woodshop.