Thread: Any Kiwi's out there?...............

Any Kiwi's out there?...............

Our youngest son and his pretty wife are sending the LOML and I to New Zealand to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We were married on Christmas Eve so it's going to be Christmas 2008 in New Zealand. I have a friend and co-worker I want to visit in Christchurch and hope to spend a couple of days there. We hope to be in New Zealand for 2 weeks. I thought we'd probably spend at least one day in Auckland.

I'd appreciate some ideas of things and places native New Zealanders think are "Must Sees" for a Yank coming to tour their beautiful country.

I'd also appreciate ideas from anyone who may have visited New Zealand.

I don't know if the LOML will allow me time visit or see anything woodworking related but you might pass on any ideas from that standpoint too! Bless her heart, she is gonna get her money's worth (or in this case, the kid's moneys worth) and she'll tour 'til she and you drop. I hope they don't have midnight sun down there.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Oh, my....can I come, too, Ken?? LOL (I'm VERY jealous!)

From what I hear, NZ is pretty much chock full of "must see" and "will see" things...an incredible place. Have I mentioned that I'm very jealous?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My wife wanted to make it to NZ in 2004 when we were in Australia for 3 1/2 weeks, but we just didn't have time to get there. We're planning a 4-week trip to NZ for 2011.

Some general info about NZ:
    • The 2 islands have very different characters. The south island is supposed to be the prettier of the 2 in terms of geography and natural terrain.
    • NZ is the only other place on earth where there are fjords. The fjords are on the south end of the south island. You might plan either a plane/helicopter trip over them or find a way to put a 2-day cruise in your itinerary so you get to see the fjords.
    • There are many vineyards in NZ, if wine-tasting is something you enjoy.
    The current plan for our trip is fly to Sydney, Australia. Perhaps spend a week there. Take a cruise that goes from Sydney, stops at Melbourne, down to Tasmania and then over to NZ where it hits the fjords for 2 days and then bounces around the 2 islands, ending at Auckland. Spend another week-and-half on the interior of the 2 islands.

When you make your flight reservations, I'd suggest starting from the south island on your return flight. It may work out that the connection from the south island to Auckland for the long flight home is treated as part of that flight and isn't separately charged.

If you have the means to do so, find a way to fly International Business class. There is a phenomenal difference between IB and coach and you'll be in that seat for 12 hours. This is the best use for Frequent Flyer miles.

Consider getting the Bose noise reducing headphones. We did and they do make a huge difference in reducing the fatiguing white noise that you hear on the plane.

Rob

Ken,
    I've yet to go to NZ but spend a nice long couple of weeks in Australia, and I'll definately echo Rob's sentiment about getting into business class if at all possible. I'm 6'2" and flew in the back of the bus per say (work trip, arrangements made less than 5 day advance notice and the work was mostly a bust so I had more like a paid vacation for 19 days ).... the flight from SF to Sydney was 13.5 long hours.
    If you have specific interests in "must see" or "must do" categories, let me know as I deal with an Australian machine manufacturer daily and they employ a few Kiwi's so I can ask them "must see" and must do" stuff for you if you want.
    Congrats!
    Greg

One Way May not only be a chuck!!!

"Our youngest son and his pretty wife are sending the LOML and I to New Zealand"

--------------------------------

Ken: I see the info about sending you there but nothing mentioned about a return. Maybe young Son wants to get at that nice Lathe!

If it is just a one way trip, I have heard that many people who visit there seriously consider staying.

Have a great trip!

Thanks guys!

Pete, the co-worker/friend in Christchurch actually is the lead engineer on the south island for the corporation who employes both of us. A few years ago he called me up and offered me a job on the south island. I considered it but turned it down after learning the tax situation there.

Rob...we are going to concentrate our visit on the south island.

And yes BTW the gift from the youngest and spouse includes return airfare!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....