Thread: Spraying lacquer using HVLP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spraying lacquer using HVLP

I need some advice on spraying lacquer. In the past I have only used my HVLP to spray poly (plus a little oil based paint).

I need a quick, reliable spray finish for some production runs of small pieces (max. of 3/4" X 2 5/8" X 18"). I would like to use lacquer because of the fast drying time, etc.

Exactly what type of lacquer do I need to use? Any tips or suggestions? Is there a different type of finish I should consider?

Thanks.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Consider using a water borne product. Easier cleanup. And is doesnt require as elaborate a safety setup...solvent based lacquer is dangerous stuff. You do need to insure you have the appropriate projector set (needle and cap, etc.) for the product you are going to spray.

Of course, for small projects like that, you might consider either using a spray bomb of shellac or lacquer (outside...) or investing in a smaller detail gun for your HVLP system. A big gun is not very economical to spray small things and the spray pattern is wasteful for the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spraying lacquer using HVLP

There are two different HVLP sprayers.

1. HVLP conversion gun: Uses your air compressor to power the gun. You must have enough air volume to run the spray gun.

2. An HVLP spray rig with a turbine. This is the only way to go if you do not own a compressor with enough volume.

HVLP is the easiest way to spray lacquer. Minimal overspray, easy spraying, easy clean-up.

Lacquer has a "burn-in" feature in that it desolves the layer below so that you get great adhesion. There are now water based finished that have the "burn-in" feature and they do not have the odor that real lacquer has. If you are offended by the odor then I would suggest that you do the water based.

If you spray lacquer then you need to cut it about 50% so that you get fast drying and good spraying.

Good Luck.
    Dave Laird
    D and N Specialties (Laser Engraving)
    Pro Sales for Woodworker's Supply in Albuquerque, NM

I would agree with Jim. Go with a waterborne. I swithed a few years back and wont use anything else when possible.

I own a turbinaire system and spray most everything small and large. I even spray painted my house with a latex. Just use a smaller tip for the laquer and a narrow spray band. Cleanup time on small projects is an issue. Is it worth the time and effort? A smaller gun would be better, but not required.

Another vote for the WB stuff. Also, in terms of gun, you mention you have an HVLP setup. That is cool but if you are looking to do smaller runs Jeff Jewitt sells a small touchup gun that, while not HVLP, does a nice job and the cleanup is a snap. I believe it sells for around $35.00. I have one and find that I use it more than my HVLP because of the convienience.