Thread: HVLP gun

HVLP gun

Hi Everyone,
    My son just picked up his first car, and needless to say, we'll be doing some work, including a bit of body work. I did some of that years ago with a spray gun my dad had. That gun is gone, so I'll be looking for a new spray gun, which I'm hoping I'll then be able to use in the wood shop ( or more like in the driveway!). I guess my first question is whether that's even possible? I would think it is with the right tip in the right gun, but I can't say for sure. Any tips on guns, tips, nozzles, and what not? I've got a 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand 5 hp. compressor that puts out a fair amount of air, although I don't remember the specifics. Like to go for an HVLP of some sort, and price of course is always a factor, but I prefer to quality the first time when possible. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, an HVLP conversion gun will be usable for both the automotive paints and for woodworking finishes. You are correct that you'll need the correct projector sets to accommodate the viscosities of different finishes. Do note that spraying automotive finishes requires a commensurate level of safety considerations, as does solvent-based woodworking finishes such as lacquer. This is a serious thing...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...