Thread: Gluing a block to rough wood?

Gluing a block to rough wood?

Normally I screw the turning block to the lathe, turn the bottom, and glue a block to the bottom with urethane glue.

I just bought a rough cut piece of curly maple; it is flat, but not smooth. It is also pretty thin, so I don't want to waste any by turning the bottom first; I would like to just glue a block to it and go from there.

I "think" that urethane glue should be okay with this, but haven't tried it. Anyone have experience with this?

I know it is not a big deal, but if I can get away with the shortcut it would be nice.

I have done this with an oak scrap bloce and Elmers Probond glue. Mostly smaller things less than 8" but think it would work for most.
    Wear a face shield though just in case it lets go.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

I recently bought a 2 3/4" Forstner bit (on sale) that I use for rough wood and green wood to get a flat spot for either a 2 1/2" OD face plate or a screw chuck to seat against the chuck. There are the valleys at the OD and center of the faced spot, but if that is the inside of a bowl, platter, etc it does not matter. That would also give you a 2 3/4" spot face for a glue block if that is the way you want to go. You can get a larger bit also, but $$ start adding up fast.

Tom

Polyurethane glue is NOT good for filling voids with any strength whatsoever. I actually haven't used it for a glue block, mainly b/c I read FWW's article on glue joints. Gorilla glue, or elmer's polyurethane, scored pretty much the lowest for anything but tight joints. I have used it for trying to fix chair legs; it didn't work so well. I've been disappointed with it. I think it is good for gluing up dissimilar materials, though. That forstner bit sounds like a great idea. I may have to use that one!!
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 05-08-2008 at 9:55 PM.

Don't use polyurethane glue for this type of thing.

Sand a flat on the blank to mount your waste block and/or use a hand plane or wide, sharp chisel to do the same. You don't need to take off a lot of stock; just enough to get a reasonable surface to glue to. Use PVA, clamp it and let it cure for at least 24 hours.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't often use glue, but when I do, I melt glue sticks (any hardware store has them)dip the waste block w/a faceplate already attached and the blank and within minutes, it's on tight. I'll usually wait a few hours before turning, but have never had one come off.
    Luck, Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin