Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie checking in

First off - great projects, welcome, and keep making sawdust! Amazing work after just 6 months...

I don't know if it will be less structurally strong, but who knows?
    Second - about MDF - the structural properties of wood and MDF are pretty well known. And you were following the plans you had. However, MDF - especially low density MDF - is much weaker (3-7 times) than most solid woods used for furniture and I've never seen MDF used for legs in this manner. I'm sure your table feels sturdy, MDF is relatively heavy, and it will certainly hold up for its intended uses. However, it's the unexpected stresses that can be most damaging. Someone sitting on it, or a leg being banged (hard) while moving could have damaging consequences - these things can be stressful even for a solid wood leg.

You seem to like Arts and Crafts type designs. Might I recommend some additional resources - to expand your collection of books and plans. There is full-blown revival of interest in this style, plus it especially appeals to many woodworkers, so there are many resources available.

I like many of the Tauton Press (Fine Woodworking) publications:
    In the Craftsman Style
    The Fundamentals of Woodworking, Volume 1 (actually 3 books)
    The Essentials of Woodworking series
    - which includes Practical Design Solutions and Strategies
    The Furniture of Gustav Stickley
    Any books about Greene and Greene

Darrell Peart's website - http://www.furnituremaker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Thats alot of big projects in a short time window - awesome work as well. Do you have a day job? Welcome to the creek! This is the best group around, IMHO!
    Yes, I have a day job. I only get to work in a few hours here and there to do my projects. On weekends and in the evening after my daughter goes to sleep. The walnut table I completed in a month during the worst part of tax season (my wife's an accountant and we're both taking accounting classes online, so you can imagine how little time I'd have to do woodworking), and now I'll be doing some house updating then start on the workbench.

Super nice Patrick! I wish my work looked that good after only 6 months!

That was a lot of work on that writing table, with all the veneering!

I built a few bookshelves similar to yours with the tusk tenons. I think it is a fine example of mechanical engineering.
    Last edited by J. Z. Guest; 05-11-2008 at 1:47 AM.

Patrick, you're a newbie? You must be a fast learner. Very good veneering. Beautiful work.

Dave

I am going to compliemnt you twice, Patrick. First that is very good work for 6 months into the hobby. Second.. that is more than some produce in 6 years in some cases.

At that pace based on the current work.. you have potential to be a very outstanding craftsman in this hobby.

Well done in both arena's....

Sarge..