Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention: All Veterans

1st Lt, Signal Corps, US Army 1968-1971
    14 months in Vietnam 1970-1971

I was drafted right after college, went to Infantry OCS at the Benning School for Boys, but received a commission in the Signal Corps (probably saved my life). Had some US duty but it was so boring that I volunteered for duty in Vietnam. For me, Vietnam duty was not bad - it was better than duty in the United States. We worked long hours and six days per week but as long as you did your job, nobody messed with you.

I met my wife in Vietnam. She was a civilian working for Control Data on a computer contract. I always tell people that we met during a mortar attack when I jumped into a fox hole and fell on her, but the truth is much less prosaic - we met in the office.

Vietnam had a major impact on me - like many others of my generation, it was the defining event of my life. It expanded my view of the world and of the people in it. I loved the Orient: the food, the culture, the crazy traffic, the dirty streets. To this day, I have a strong affinity for the Orient.

I have so many stories about that time - my friends have gotten tired of hearing them. One of the great things about our marriage is that my wife and I share many of the same stories.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

US Navy Retired

Waymon,

Thanks for your service to our great nation.

As the title if the message states I am retired from the US Navy. 25 and a half of the best years of my life were spent serving. No regrets, but plenty of "I wish I had".

I enlisted in August 1971 and retired in April 2000. I was an Aviation Electrician (AE) and retired as a Senior Chief (AECS). Most of my career was spent in the Pacific Northwest. I deployed on aircraft carriers 3 times, and spent a tour on Instructor Duty in Memphis.

To all who have posted here: Thank you! You all have my deepest respect and admiration. It truly is an honor to have read each of your posts.

Jim Hill
    AECS USN Retired

3. Ocean Systems Tech (OT), USN
    1976-1981 Active duty, Navfacs, Argentia, Newfoundland and Keflavik, Iceland.

1981-1983 Active Reserves, Norfolk VA

1975 & 1981-1985 Dependent Husband!

OT's no longer exist in the USN having been folded into Sonar Techs several years ago. For those that have a clue, OT's ran the SOSUS network for many years.

For those of you on this thread, I thank you. For those of you who actually went in harm's way, and even bigger thank you. Not that those who served in the rear, like me, served any smaller purpose. Just that I am not sure how well I would have performed listening to ordinance pass that close to me and, well, just THANK YOU for being there and getting the job done!

US Army 1967-1969
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Brown water navy 1966 to 1970. Nam july 67 to june 68, july 68 to january 69.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

Military Service

I gave 38 years to the US Army and the Country I love between July 1955 and November 1996. Nineteen were active duty and 19 were Active Reserve. The VA consideres me 90 percert disabled and 100 percent unemployable.

Thanks

THANKS Waymon!

Sorry, I thought I had made my entry months ago.

USAF F4 Jock 1967-1971

Diverted from Vietnam to Korea for the Pueblo Crisis in Jan. 1968 and was there for the EC-121 shootdown incident in 1969.

US Army 1968-1975 for me (everywhere)
    US Army 1941-1945 for my Dad (Panama)
    US Army 1968-1970 for my son-in-law (101st Airborne Rakkasans) (Hamburger Hill Vet)

Send me a PM and I'll send in the money for us. We're all still pretty proud.

Brad

I served for 19 years in the US Army and 19 years in the US Army Reserve between July 1955 and November 1996

Way to go Waymon,
    Jerry Todd
    US Army 1965-1968
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

SSgt Stephen Culbertson
    USMC
    1994-2004

(Unfortunately Medically Retired)

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH-RAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Amazing!!!!! This is great!!!! ET2 Williams USN 1990-1996. Men this is wonderful, now if I could get all to join with me in getting The right for a full military funeral re-evaluated. Served in First Gulf War, (and a few other places) medically retired.

Go Navy

Happy to serve!
    Active duty Navy since 1988.
    NATC Patuxent River, MD
    USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69)
    USS Simon Lake (AS 33)
    NCBC Gulfport, MS
    Naval Security Force, Manama Bahrain
    USS O'Bannon (DD 987)
    and currently serving at Marine Corps Security Force Company, Kingsland, GA.

Proud to serve but looking forward to a possible retirement in 2008!!

I served in the U S Air Force 5 years 1972 to 1977 In Maintenance and Civil enginering, Fought the snow and cold in North Dakota and then the heat and bugs in the Phillipines. Had a great time and would not have missed it. Chris

U. S. Army 1967-1987
    Ft Polk, LA
    Ft Wolters, TX
    Ft Rucker, AL
    Ft Eustis, VA
    Cu Chi, RVN
    Ft Gordon,GA
    Ft Stewart,GA
    Ft Rucker, AL
    Phu Loi, RVN
    Ft Gordon, GA
    Lakehurst NAS, NJ