Thread: ?????? About a fast drying wipe on finish

?????? About a fast drying wipe on finish

That doesn't stink.

I once brushed on Lacquer & liked it it dried fast but it stunk the shop up & the apartment above the shop so it is out of the question.

I would like to know if there is a wipe on finish maybe even a water based one that may even dry fast???
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

You might want to check out this link:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=30611

shellac? (extra characters added to meet 10 character minimum)

The taunton video "wipe on varnish" has varnish and turpentine in the mix so it will have fumes.

What about newer "green" oil finishes. A mix of tung oil and orange oil so it may smell like oranges but you can probably breath the vapors without getting high.

I was just looking into this. I used Watco for years and never wore a respirator and it was only "mood altering " on a big job. Now even with a respirator on a small project I get light headed, so I want to find a safe oil finish.

Anyone tried this company :
    http://www.landarknw.com/

Or any oil finish you can inhale safely.

Any solvent based or oil based product is going to off-gas to various degrees. Hence, the need for ventilation (and personal protection) as the off-gassing can be quite noxious. Most water borne products have an odor, too, although it's usually not "dangerous" nor as annoying.

I use two finishing products, together or separately in my shop. Shellac and water borne. (The latter only sprayed) Shellac has fumes from the alcohol flashing off and a respirator is a good idea. But it dissipates rapidly with ventilation and is not lingering like oil-based products. It can be brushed, sprayed or wiped on with no problem. Water bornes are usually best brushed or sprayed. Wiping is harder because they dry so quickly...but should be doable for small projects. Pick up a small can of Minwax Polycrylic (water borne with a little poly resin in it) and test it for wiping in your situation. While not as good as many other water borne products, IMHO, it's decent and very accessible...good for testing in that latter respect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all the great replies.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

What about Target's Hybrivar? It can be wiped on and I assume it wouldn't have the off gasing of a full oil base product.

Expensive but if it is as good as their other products probably worth it.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Hello,
    Jim said:
    Pick up a small can of Minwax Polycrylic (water borne with a little poly resin in it) and test it for wiping in your situation
    I use MinWax Polycrylic exclusively as my "shop finish" where I want a clear coat of fast drying material. I agree - it's a decent serviceable material.

I also have most of a gallon container of MinWax (water base) Floor Finish left from last year's floor refinishing project.

The floor finish comes pre-packaged in a wipe on viscosity. I've been using it up as a "shop finish" just to get rid of it. I have to say, it's been doing a very good job - much better than simply thinning their other products down to a wiping viscosity.
    It doesn't brush for beans though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon